Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Got an Expedition for parts

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
I bought a wrecked Expy yesterday for parts - '01 Eddie Bauer edition that was rolled. I need the engine for another - this one has 128K.

I haven't messed with these so I'll ask all kinds of dumb questions.

What's the best way to pull the engine? Yank the front sheet metal off or is there room to lift it out with just the hood off?

Any tips, please throw them out. Thanks!

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
I've always been in the camp that if you don't need it to stay together, rip the front end apart. A lot easier to get everything disconnected with the whole front end out of the way.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
That's how I swap engines in the old trucks and figured it is similar on the newer ones.

It won't be too hard...I don't think there's any untouched sheetmetal on the rig. Basically its a rolling chassis and drivetrain.

Thanks Zach!

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
do what tony screams in a bar

TAKE IT OFF TAKE IT OFF... smilietease

havi

third member
I'll take yer old 5.4L if yer just throwing it out. I need one to mock up my '78 f150.

Is it 4x4? I may be interested in the t-case, front driveshaft, front end, and all the other bits to turn a 4x2 into a 4x4.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
I'll keep you guys in mind - but I haven't even thought about what to do with the left-over bits.

I do know one wheel is ruined on the driver side front - that was the initial point of impact. Haven't messed with it to see if anything else is bent.

I'll give updates as I go along - now that Christmas is behind me I might get something done on it.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Take the intake off of the engine first. Then fabricate a bar that is fastened to the alternator bolts in front, and the top two bolt holes in the rear (an old bumper jack works well. Attach your lift chain to the bar. Doing it that way, the engine will come out pretty easily.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
The seats are gone. It was an Eddie Bauer edition, but the guy I got it from bought it for the interior to swap into his own expy. If there's anything else you need let me know specifics Don.

Thanks for the tip Vince!

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
I might be able to look tomorrow - will asap - but this expy did a summersault, a barrel roll and several unidentified moves while traveling at speed. I don't have high hopes. To be honest I haven't looked at the interior in the daylight, but it probably is brown/tan leather..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts