Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

auto shifter

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
A friend of mine broke the auto shifter in her '93 F-150. I dunno what transmission it is, but it's the PRND21 with the OD lockout button on the end.

She's got it stuck in reverse (so it won't start), and the lever is real sloppy, flopping everywhere.

I pulled the plastic cover off the column, but I couldn't figure out how to actually shift it from in there, nor could I see anything broken.

I stuck it back together, and she's just gonna get it towed somewhere tomorrow, but if it's something easy (or there's an easy way I can shift it without the lever, just to get it started then down into Drive to drive it to the mechanics, that would be cool...

Thanks!

andym

Real men are fanatics
Check out the linkage from underneath. There's a couple of rods/levers that go from the linkage in the column to the MLPS on the side of the tranny.

It's an E4OD, BTW.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
They all looked OK to me, but I don't know jack about the automatics.

She definitely busted something up top by the feel of it, and she did mention she'd had to force it a little right before it broke. :spank:

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
tghe best way is to remove the entire column and replace the tube assembly. the tube that the shifter attaches has 2 plastic bushings black in color holding the tube to the column. at the end of the column where the cable attaches, should be two bolts. i have had the brackets/bushings break, i have had the tube itself break in half, and i have had several with the bolts being loose/out. good luck and let me know if oyu need any help. it is not really a hard job. the toughest part will be getting the column out and aligning the shift lock solenoid, both which can be done with a close and patient eye.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I think she's just gonna end up taking it somewhere; she kinda started freakin' when she saw I'd taken the ignition switch out so I don't think major disassembly is gonna happen.

I was just hoping I could get it shifted so she could drive it to the mechanics and save a towing charge.

Thanks, though!

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
oh, you know better than that... Don't let a woman see you working on a vehicle of thiers, or any kind of repair for that matter. They think you're gonna break something...

Ryan

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I was just hoping I could get it shifted so she could drive it to the mechanics and save a towing charge.

Thanks, though!
You could climb under the truck and pop the cable of the tranny and move the lever into drive, but thats not really safe.

You could climb under the truck and pop the cable of the tranny and move the lever into drive, but thats not really safe.

I was going to say the same thing. I have done it and probably will again, but it is not safe.

I hate tow trucks. :headbang:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I like the way we both threw that safety disclaimer in there Brian. :)

I like the way we both threw that safety disclaimer in there Brian. :)

Neither one of us want our friends to get hurt doing something we would do.

In high school a guy parked in my spot (not reserved or anything) and would not move. After he went in, I crawled under his car, unhooked the trans, shifted to neutral, moved his car, and re-hooked everything.

Did I mention it was locked?

I never did tell him how I moved it and he never parked in my spot again!

:rofl: :rofl:

disconnect it at the tranny, hook a wire or cord to it so you can PULL it into drive out from under the vehicle.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
Check out the linkage from underneath. There's a couple of rods/levers that go from the linkage in the column to the MLPS on the side of the tranny.

It's an E4OD, BTW.

just because the shift patter is like that doesnt means its an E4od. My shift pattern is just like that and i have an AOD.

Ian check underneath the truck and on the driveside will be a cable coming down to the tranny and end ing in a lever. If i remember right click it all the way towards the front of the vehicle. Should be in park then.

If you wanna get real dangerous. Put it in park by hand. Have her start it then shift it into drive while she holds the brakes. She should be able to get i thome.

edit: funny how all of us mention shifting by hand lol

Last edited:

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
its d-kuz's fault....

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts