Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'01 Exp won't start -w/5.4 w/60,000 mi

I recently purchased a '01 Exp. XLT w/5.4 engine w/60,000 mi. Brought it to the hand car wash and went to start it, turns over and it wouldn't start. Towed it home.

When I turn key to on position all the guages go to full scale and then go back to zero. I also hear a faint clunk under the hood on the drivers side. I try to start it and it turns over but does not start.

Any ideas what is going on or where I can start to diagnose?

Thank You

blacksnapon

Staff member
I recently purchased a '01 Exp. XLT w/5.4 engine w/60,000 mi. Brought it to the hand car wash and went to start it, turns over and it wouldn't start. Towed it home.

When I turn key to on position all the guages go to full scale and then go back to zero. I also hear a faint clunk under the hood on the drivers side. I try to start it and it turns over but does not start.

Thank You
Is the theft light flashing? Is the inertia switch thrown?

I pushed in the re-set button on the inertia switch. Truns over fine and still does not start.

The red theft light is flashing before I try to start it.

emtzach

i get paid to do this
my question how many times have you started the truck since you got it. have you been using the same key all the time how many keys were you given. you used to be able to get about ten vehicle starts out of an unprogrammed key until it would kill the system all together. just askin cuz im sure blacksnap is on point but i had a customer that had just brought a car in and he left us with a key that wasnt programmed... lol

blacksnapon

Staff member

Thank You
check your e-mail. Its quite sizeable. Too much to post here.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts