Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Nine inch rearend

I have heard that ford's eight inch rearend looks alot like the nine inch. Does anyone know how to tell the difference. I would like to know which rearend my trk has in it. Thx

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
First off, you mean the 8.8"? If so, from my recollection, I seem to remember the cover bolts being on the rear side of an 8.8, and the 9" is to the front. I'm sure there are other easier ways to determine...but I'm not too familiar with the 8.8's.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The 8.8's do have the cover bolts on the rear and the 9'' on the front as Ben said.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Hang on guys, Ford did make an 8" rear - used in a lot of mustangs, torinos and other similar wide body cars during the 60's. I don't think they were used on pickups, but its possible somebody swapped one.

The 8" looks a lot like a 9" with a removable front chunk, but there's an easy way to tell the difference. The 9" bearing housing on the pinion drops down so low that you have to use an open end wrench to remove the bottom 2 nuts.

The 8" doesn't have the large bearing housing so you can use a socket on all the nuts. That's it.

Class is over for today!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks for the shooling Tim...never knew that before.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I am an idiot...I knew that.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
They also did make a 9.25 :confused: which looks exactly like a 9 inch....
1968/72 F100: Ford offered a H/D 9" rated at 3600 lbs. capacity that has a 9 3/8" ring gear.

Only 5 parts (all internal) are the same as 9 inch.

A similar 9 3/8" version will be found in some 1966/72 Lincolns/Marks/Thunderbirds/full sized Fords and Merc's with 410/428/429/460 engines.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts