Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

High Mileage Motor Oils

Hey guys/gals,

I'm looking to change things up a bit at the next oil change, not sure where to go though... (2000 5.4, truck in sig.)

At the moment I am using the Castrol GTX high mileage... Is this oil in FACT a synthetic blend motor oil? I have heard all kinds, but do not have a definitive answer yet.

The motor in my truck is at 214,000 KM and does not/has not burned or leaked a drop since I bought it, and is still golden after 2500 KM.

I'm looking at the Valvoline Premium conventional motor oil. Now this oil is not a high mileage oil, and does not have the seal conditioners that the GTX high mileage stuff has. Will using the conventional stuff without the seal conditioners hurt my seals?

Another oil is the Valvoline Max Life semi synthetic high mileage oil. This is a confirmed semi synthetic. Differences between this and the GTX high mileage stuff?

Should I just stay with the GTX high mileage? Go 100% conventional? Full Syn. is defiantly out of the question. Looking for opinions. I like to do my homework before I use any product.

Thanks all!

Derek.

Last edited:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
The castrol GTX high mileage is not a synthetic blend. It does have additives that help condition seals, to prevent leaks. I would stick with the castrol. It got you where you are now, why change.

I know it's old school, but I've always been hesitant at changing an engine's oil diet. I was given that sage advice years ago, while dinosaurs were still roaming the earth, by my wise neighbor.

I know it's old school, but I've always been hesitant at changing an engine's oil diet. I was given that sage advice years ago, while dinosaurs were still roaming the earth, by my wise neighbor.

"You learn fast young padawan." :bows:

Thanks for the help boys, I appreciate it....

I think I am going to agree with you guys and stay with the GTX high mileage. I have been very impressed with the oil.

Thanks!

Derek.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont

Same here. Can't remember who it was told me, but the way I always put it is that the best oil to put in an engine with a lot of miles, is the one that got there.

*214,000 km ~= 133,000 miles...I wouldn't even call that high miles on a modern engine. My Ranger's right around twice that.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts