Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Smelly 7.3

wayfastxr

California Chapter member
I've started to notice some different smell to my 1997 7.3 exhaust. I think it might be injectors are getting dirty ?. Any help would be great. This site is nicely set up. Looking foward to posting some new pictures of my beast. Thanks

Fellro

Staff member
Depends all in what you mean. Different fuels will make different smells, if there is any biodiesel in the last fill, it will make a difference. I personally have never heard of a different smell from injectors, and for that matter, on diesels in general...

wayfastxr

California Chapter member
Thanks for the reply. I have a 1997 F350 crewcab 4wd. 7.3 and a new e4od. The mileage is about 144 thous. Runs great. But the smell is not the same as other 7.3. Its hard to explain. Useing regular 2# diesel.

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Where you get your fuel may be blending with bio (not unusual) without advertising it.

bio diesel will give you different smells as it ages it has a short life in summer as things are growing in it..try diesel cleen ..myself ...i like the new stink's!!

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
What is the smell like? If it is anything rubber than you may have an issue. Also do you idle down the truck before shutting it off?

Try Diesel Kleen in the SILVER bottle (the white is a fuel additive blend and cetane boost, the silver is a cleaning mix)
Put in 1/2 tank of gas and dump a whole big bottle of Diesel Kleen in. Its a handle jug that says it treats up to 250 gallons...but if you use the amount it tells you it would take 10 years to clean your fuel system. I run a bottle of that through my cummins with 1/2 tank every month or so to keep my injectors spraying the way they should

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
hell i thought anything BUT bio was illegal in cali!

BIGRED911

Charter Member
my bad..id thought id read somewhere that it was illegal...untill may 5 it wasnt legal to store it underground.....im alittle behind...havnt ben into cali for a while..been everywhere but cali...

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
I have no idea about Cali but back in WA at the Co-op we had B20, B75, and B99 all in underground tanks, but that is also liscenced as an Ag business through the Farm Bureau and we had Dyed Ag diesel as well as 100% pure petroleum diesel (No bio added) which cant be sold anywhere else (notice every station has the may contain up to 15% biodiesel stickers)

Ford Truck Articles