Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

GPS Mounting????

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Hello 6.0L friends...

I just ordered a Garmin Nuvi680 GPS for myself (Don't ever think I am rich... I used my Marriott hotel points to buy it).

Question... how and where do any of you mount your GPS unit? I was thinking up high by my overhead console and above the rearview mirror??? I do not like things on my dash and in the middle of my windshield... but I may have to change my ways....

Please post pictures into your replies as a picture is worth a 1,000 words and their fun to look at.

Since guys do not stop to ask for directions... now I will just have it spoken to me by my Garmin GPS unit!!!!

:beer: :beer:

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
WHAT?? You think that thing is gonna help you find a job?? ROFLMAO

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
Jeff, do you have a laptop? If you do, you could have bought the Delorme Street Atlas map/gps software, and a USGlobal Sat GPS receiver, and had
many more features than the Garmin!

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10121

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/s...-1_blended_32670704_2&results-process=default

What's neat, the GPS receiver fits between the window, and pulldown shade on planes, so you can see where you are. Here are some screen shots during our Hawaii flights back in April:

http://www.bob-ayers.smugmug.com/gallery/2719677#144241978

http://www.bob-ayers.smugmug.com/gallery/2775517#147789640

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
I put my TomTom 910 in the lower left corner of my windshield.............But I think your Garmin is quite a bit larger than my TomTom if I'm correct. But keep it low and on the left and you should be good to go without blocking your vision.

Gunner

It is good to keep the GPS units off the windshield. Bad guys around DFW are targeting the little gadgets. Fort Worth is reporting 10 a week....no telling how many more are not reported to L.E.

The news report stated though, that they can back track where the units have been if they recover them...LOL.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Funny how times change...

Years ago it was car radios, 8-track players, cassette decks and under dash equalizers...

Now they don't even have to work at it (cut wires or remove anything)....

In this day and age of portable electronics all they have to do is open the door or window and they get a new GPS unit, satalite radio, I-Pod, CD's, cell-phones, radar detectors and PDA's!!!!

No one wants an indash radios anymore.... too much work.

I was thinking of mounting my GPS unit (when it arrives) up high and either behind or above the rear-view mirror for my viewing conveniance and/or to reduce theft? The unit is small enough that I will probably just undo it from its mount and hide it.

Maybe the "Texas Hammer" could guard my truck for me when I am away from it???:nana:

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Funny how times change...

Years ago it was car radios, 8-track players, cassette decks and under dash equalizers...

Now they don't even have to work at it (cut wires or remove anything)....

In this day and age of portable electronics all they have to do is open the door or window and they get a new GPS unit, satalite radio, I-Pod, CD's, cell-phones, radar detectors and PDA's!!!!

No one wants an indash radios anymore.... too much work.

I was thinking of mounting my GPS unit (when it arrives) up high and either behind or above the rear-view mirror for my viewing conveniance and/or to reduce theft? The unit is small enough that I will probably just undo it from its mount and hide it.

Maybe the "Texas Hammer" could guard my truck for me when I am away from it???:nana:

My vehicle is protected by Smith And Wesson..............

Gunner

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
That ought to work ok in your window...............I've seen some of those things that are huge........

Gunner

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
My vehicle is protected by Smith And Wesson..............
So is mine. :) Can you say, BIG!! :D

LilMuleandMe.JPG

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Murphy's 8th Law Of Combat.

"Never go into a fight with a pistol who's name doesn't start with the number 4"

Gunner

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Murphy's 8th Law Of Combat.

"Never go into a fight with a pistol who's name doesn't start with the number 4"

Gunner
Yes and no. Try pulling tha beast out of your pants in a hurry!!

Oh oh, here it all comes. ROFL I done did open the door for Tom and Carl and . . .

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Yes and no. Try pulling tha beast out of your pants in a hurry!!

Hey I pull the beast out of my pants ALL the time :D

Gunner

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
What are you kiddin....that pistol is the only thing youve got thats worth showin off..(ha ha...did you for get that ive talked to meg?)

FIRE ONE!:guns:
MEG?!?! She never saw anything other than my cookies! :p

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Here are some pictures of my new Garmin Nuvi 680 GPS.

I mounted it above the rear-view mirror and ran the power cord along the roof and using an extension ran it under the dash to the lower cigerette lighter outlet (by the funny "hook thingy" no one knows what it is for).

The "high and out of the way" location makes it easy to see and makes it less visible to the casual passerby in a parking lot.

Attachments

• Driver's View - 1.JPG
  • GPS Mounting - Passenger's View.JPG
  • Lighter Connection - Installed.JPG
Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts