Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

help me blow money on my engine plz!

Hey, I am a noob to this site but I am not a noob when it comes to suspensions and all that fun off-road jazz. Well I dont exactly even have a ford, I guess at one point it was built by ford but that was a long time ago. I have a 1981 Jeep cj5 with a 351W, 1 ton axles, 39 inch tires, lockers...blah blah. On the the real reason Im here.

I am currently abotu 6,500 miles away from my jeep so it becomes a little hard to order parts for the thing. I am currently stationed in South Korea for the U.S. Army and Id like to blow a little of this extra cash on my cj.

I am lookin at basically completely replacing my engine other than the block. I will replace the block if i need to but if not, ill keep it. Im lookin for either a 393 stroker kit or a 427 stroker kit or somewhere in between. No bigger no smaller. Also a whole new Air/fuel delivery system (heads,cam,intake,everything).

Im not lookin to take this thing to the strip and toss a civic. Just for some good short sand sprints, glamis, and some nasty mud. I have the proper gear ratio's for whatever i need (FCR 13.32:1 :) ).

I was lookin at this set up for the stroker kit:
http://www.speedomotive.com/ps-111-10-ford-351w-to-427-stroker-kit.aspx

And as far as my top end goes i was lookin at this bit:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-2092/

As far as carb goes just one of these:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-90770/

I'm lookin for low to mid range torque for this thing.

What do yall think of this little combo.

Thanks.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alright...not gonna be too much help here but...I'm not sure if I'd go with a 427 stroker, unless you go with an aftermarket block (which you said you were fine with). If you're only planning on going through mud pits and down drag strips, then it's a fine stroker, if you plan on more extensive use...I'd drop to a 393 or 408 stroker (there's a guy here by the name of surewhynot that has a 393 that may be more help). Next, the Edelbrock heads are an improvement over stock, but more often than not are on the lower tier of aftermarket heads (not sure if this is the case in the SB world). Lastly, I like your carb choice. Hopefully, someone can swoop in and give you better direction, but that's my take.

ah yes thats the kinda stuff i needed.

I shot both of them a electro mail (e mail ) and now im just waiting for a response.

Im basically lookin to show up my buddy in his cummins that is pushin about 720 tq. I am figuring that with my lighter vehicle and enough goodies I can still do it.

Any one else have any ideas as to what i can and should do with this thing???

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
....tell ya what..... save ur cash sell the jeep n buy a bronco n thtll scratch ur itch

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
How many places do you know that actually take back cams Mike? I'm sure they have some sort of warranty for bad cams. This place appears to do custom grinds, so they have no use for you sending back a cam that you decided you didn't want.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
How many places do you know that actually take back cams Mike? I'm sure they have some sort of warranty for bad cams. This place appears to do custom grinds, so they have no use for you sending back a cam that you decided you didn't want.

Maybe id you did some reading I would have to post this.
They all have some kinda warranty (KINDA!)
http://www.lunatipower.com/LunatiProductWarranty.aspx
This place how ever Has nothing, SO even is the cam is machined wrong is a the factory default your SOL
Find some body else.. I know you dont like me but dont back up a crappy company just to try and make me look bad, its Childish.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Maybe id you did some reading I would have to post this.
They all have some kinda warranty (KINDA!)
http://www.lunatipower.com/LunatiProductWarranty.aspx
This place how ever Has nothing, SO even is the cam is machined wrong is a the factory default your SOL
Find some body else.. I know you dont like me but dont back up a crappy company just to try and make me look bad.

You obviously can't frickin read or choose not to read what I said...there's a difference between a refund/exchange policy and a warranty. The company in question said NO Refunds or Exchanges...that's completely different than standing behind the quality of their work and offering a warranty in the event of catastophic failure.

Last edited:
Hell no stay away from this place like the plague!

In other words, if we send you a bad cam your SOL (Hahahahaha)

Find some body else.

I'd have NO problems buying a cam from him. If Jay says a cam will run IT will run. Do some reading on sbftech.com, and you'll see why I say that. smilieFordlogo

oh my, bunch of drama queens are we. lol jk

Well im not used to using this fancy interweb stuff for ordering parts i like me a good summit catalog and my local shops...not to mention my own.

But i aint home. (6500 miles is far from it)

Me..a bronco? lol been there done that...it was on 38's, had a 460..blah blah

Also had another ford...a 92 explorer with a swapped in 302 carbed, headers, fox coilovers...blah blah blah..although 90 on a dirt trail sure is fun

joops (yes joop) are fun cause they are small and can go in smaller places more easily than a larger bronco.

I currently have a dodge 2500 (05)....diesel thats pushin about 58psi..intake, 6 inch stack (single). beastly road armor bumper 2 9 inch HID's one hella 9 inch spot, header exhaust and a ATS tranny...blah blah blah...sorry stoker boys but when it comes to diesels..ya gotta stop stokin and start cummin..

If yall could help me out a little as i have like no friggen time to search and search for sites that will help me put together a top end kit. Basically if i can just get at least heads (complete), cam, cam chain and maybe a intake ill be happy.

meh, another thing. I just got the some casting numbers from home from the engine. Theres a whole bunch more than i remember. lol

Here they are D4AE-6015-DA4

I got 1974 galaxie....im workin on the rest, havent had much time since i got them, being about 5 minutes ago.

meeh, aaand one more

1974 galaxie, but but what is this dang 6015 and da4

........................................................................chim chim pee pee
....tell ya what..... save ur cash sell the jeep n buy a bronco n thtll scratch ur itch

lol just messin

meeh, aaand one more

1974 galaxie, but but what is this dang 6015 and da4

http://www.classicmustang.com/decoding_part_numbers.htm

Example for illustrative purposes:

C5ZZ-2140-CR

C - Decade of Manufacture - 1960's in this case
5 - Decade Year - This is a '65
Z - Car line - Mustang
Z - Ford Service Part - This came from the Engineering Department
2140 - Basic part number - 2140 is a master cylinder
CR - Design Change - indicates manual disc brakes

KdPate

After Hours Garage
Put you together a good 393 with decent heads (C9 351W heads or GT-40 from a 93-95 Lightning) and a mild cam (Melling MTF-5) and you'll have plenty of power on tap to do what you want........

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
oh my, bunch of drama queens are we. lol jk.

I wouldn't call it drama, just trying to help keep you from making decisions based on erroneous posts. Not to mention the fact that this site seems to have a habit of side chatter within threads.

Well im not used to using this fancy interweb stuff for ordering parts i like me a good summit catalog and my local shops...not to mention my own.

Then if I were you, I'd give a call to the folks in the links Aaron posted.

But as stated, dollar for dollar, a cam is the best upgrade you can make. You just need to determine what your primary driving style will be before deciding on a cam. More often than not, heads are a bottle neck, so swap out the stockers for whatever these SB gurus are suggesting and you'll be happy.

Last edited:
people at prostrokers or whatever it is i forgot responded to me at like 3 AM U.S. time which was really fast . but the shafterman is takin a while. mmmm poop

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts