Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Automotive calculators possibility?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey fellas, I was just wondering if the possibility of adding "Automotive Calculators" to the site was a possibility or if it's ever been brought up? I think it would be an awesome function to add to this site up in the toolbar, but don't know the feasibility of implementation.

Here's a list of some things I usually have to venture out of FTF for:

-Pre/Post 1980 VIN decoder
-Compression/Displacement calculator
-RPM shiftpoint calc
-1/4 mile ET time calc
-Overall gear ratio for MT or AT
-Instrument error
-MPH/RPM/Gear ratio/Tire diameter relation calc
-Effect new gears/tires have on speedo and effective ratio
-Trip avg MPH and MPG
-Modification payoff calculator

Again...I dunno how possible implementing or getting something like this would be...but I like to stay within the FTF walls. Or maybe at the very least we could start a stickied thread and throw some of the better calculators/charts/decoders in there.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
I like the idea Ben.

I have to admit though as I have never had a desire to use any I don't know much about them/. I too have seen them on other sites. Any ideas if they are custom coded for sites or if sites get them as a package?

I'll look around when I get a chance.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sorry Aaron...I have absolutely no clue how they work or how could be implemented here...I just know I've seen them and use them all the time on other sites. Hell, even it turns out it can't be set up...I'd still like to see a thread with links to some of the more accurate calculators.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sweet find Aaron. So if FTF can't incorporate into the toolbar, anyway we could get a sticky somewhere and keep all chatter out of the thread besides supplemental info/calcs?

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Yeah I could probably make and sticky a thread maybe in General Automotive with a list of sites for people to go to.

I don't know about adding a link on the nav bar to an outside site. But if we can find an add-on then maybe we can add a navbar option then

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alright...thanks for the time and effort.

Oh yeah, just in case it was overlooked, anyone have a good VIN decoder pre 1980 and post 1980? I'd post mine, but they would be linked to other forums.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Got it and checking it out. Thanks a ton Aaron.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That cobranet (the second link in your first post) link gives you an error message when you try to compute something. Is it just me?

Damn...I'm really liking that last link.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
It's another 17 digit decoder, so no it's not all inclusive. Only way I've found or been able to decode pre-80 VINs is with my books or the other site.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts