Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

coolant flush

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
So it's time to flush the coolant in my Ranger, but nothing about the question is Ranger specific, so I'm posting it here. (Feel free to move it, though.)

I've used Prestone's chemical flush, in a friend's F-350, so I'm somewhat familar with the process there, but I'm not sure if I need to use the stuff, as I'm not experiencing any cooling problems (which he was). I'm pretty busy for this week, so I'd rather not have to do the drain/refill drill more than necessary...

How do I dispose of the used coolant? I'm not sure quite what the capacity of the vehicle is, but I figure I'll probably end up with a couple gallons of the stuff, at least. We have a dog, and I refuse to dump the stuff in the ground.

Thanks!

Most township recycling centers have a place to take waste coolant or waste oil. if not, check with your auto parts store. As far as the chemicals, if there's no indication of problems, I wouldn't use them. If the existing fluid is looking good, there's no really no need for it. One thing you may WANT to do tho, is head over to the DIY wash bay and pressure wash your radiator from the inside out every once in a while. bug guts/dirt/etc get lodged in the fins. this goes for the ac, too. Just don't touch the rad or evap with the nozzle or wand, and not too close even with the pressure. try to wash straight thru the fins, not at an angle, as the pressure can fold them over easily if you aren't careful.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking on the chemicals.

The town does have a haz-mat disposal program in place, but the guy (a local contractor) who is supposed to take the coolant, is a lying, cheating, no-good scumbag who used to dump raw sewage from his cesspool pumping truck out behind his house (just uphill of my grandfather's gravel pit) because then he could pocket the fee he'd charged his customers for dumping into the sewage treatment facility.

Only way I'd take my coolant to him, would be in his coffee cup.

*Not in Orono, Maine, but rather in the town where my father lives. Not gonna mention quite where it is.

Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking on the chemicals.

The town does have a haz-mat disposal program in place, but the guy (a local contractor) who is supposed to take the coolant, is a lying, cheating, no-good scumbag who used to dump raw sewage from his cesspool pumping truck out behind his house (just uphill of my grandfather's gravel pit) because then he could pocket the fee he'd charged his customers for dumping into the sewage treatment facility.

Only way I'd take my coolant to him, would be in his coffee cup.

*Not in Orono, Maine, but rather in the town where my father lives. Not gonna mention quite where it is.
I got my hazmat TRAINING at safety-kleen in New England... You know how much you could TOAST that guy by a call to DNR? Better yet, the coffee cup IS an option...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts