Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Camshaft reccomendation.

Helllloooooooo everybody! beer drinking smilie

My pops is looking for a little more go out of his 351M.

Engine Specs:

-Stock rebuilt 351M (C-6 Tranny)
-Eddy performer 400 intake
-Holley 4777 650 CFM DP carb
-Long tube headers with a 3" collector (can't recall brand name)

I believe the truck has a 3.50 gear. Axle code on door is H9J and the tag on the D-44 is 0808.

The XE262 seems to be popular on these motors, I don't have any experience with them though.

He would like something with a nice mean and aggressive sound. Can you guys give me any recommendations for this motor. Man I wish he woulda built the 400 instead. :(

Thanks!

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Ben should be the man to answer this one, come to think about it, I dont ever recall much talk about cams with it comes to these engine.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
When I selected a cam for my engine the CompCams Deh's where the ones to get. I put a 265 DEH in my 400 and like it, bottom end grunt with a nice top end, but due to the large differences between the new cam and the stocker you must change the valvesprings.

Another option is the 255DEH, you can use the stock springs and this cam has a little more low end.

Thanks Lee, will defiantly consider that.

Anyone else have anything to add? need more help deciding.

Probably getting rid of the holley double pumper in favor of a non-DP carb. Not a great choice for this motor. Still going to stay in that CFM range though.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I agree with Lee, before my 351 went on the path it did, I was going use either the 265 if I stayed at 351 or the 275 if I went to 400. I think the 265 would fit your needs nicely.

I agree with Lee, before my 351 went on the path it did, I was going use either the 265 if I stayed at 351 or the 275 if I went to 400. I think the 265 would fit your needs nicely.

Don't think my valve springs are going to like the camshaft much, I'd hate for my dad to break a spring and drop a valve.

How are the 255's at idle, he likes the thumpity thumpity, and I know he won't pop for new valve springs because the motor was rebuilt fairly recently... Cheap,I hate it.

The deh cams are good due to the dual pattern they have (longer exhaust duration due to the falty exhaust ports thus helping alot on the torque).

If you are keeping the stock rebuilt 351m i wouldnt recomend the 265 deh, its too much cam for your low compresion and will hurt your low end.

The extreme energy cams are a better and newer product than the deh cams. They are basicly deh cams with higher ramp rates thus more lift and power in the same range.

I personaly for your aplication, i would recomend an extreme energy xe256h, shorter duration than a 265deh but same lift meaning agresive torque.

Also with this you MUST get matching springs, I recomend a zddp aditive for your oil and a doble roller straight tmming chain.

my 02.

Cams that idle rough will have a power band higher than you may want in a street motor. You may need some lower gears to get the motor running up in the higher power band. They produce low vacuum, not good for power brakes. What ever cam you end up with will have to have matching springs to go with it. You will also need to check lifter preload and valve train geometry. To get it in right I always degree them in as well.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ben should be the man to answer this one, come to think about it, I dont ever recall much talk about cams with it comes to these engine.

HAHA...actually I just picked Joe's brain and read whatever one else said about cam technology, and as Joe said, the XE's are essentially just an advancement to the DEH line. But to be honest, I like my 262...although I do wish there was a tad more off the line, seeing as it really seems to kick in around 1500-1800rpm. Beyond that, no complaints...and it's really nice to have that extra oomph on the top end.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts