Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Power Windows and locks problem

I just bought a '98 Exploder 5.0 AWD for $700 for my wife last week and have done a good bit of work on it so far, mainly cleaning, polishing and detail stuff. Only 1 mechanical repair so far and that was the left front hub assembly. I do have a problem with the electrics for the locks, windows and mirrors though.

The door locks will work only with the switch at the rear hatch and will lock when I start driving, none of the other lock switches function at all.

The power windows will work from the drivers door and and the 3 passenger door switches do not work, I don't think the problem is in the switches as I have changed a rear door switch with no results.

The outside power mirrors also will not work with the switch. I have checked the fuses and relays, they all seem ok. Have any of you experienced similar problems? If so, what was the cure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mel

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
The windows and locks have to go through the master switches (on driver door). I've repaired a lot of wiring in the "bellows" between the driver door and the door post for this exact issue. Probably a ground wire broken in there.

Thanks alot for the information, I was afraid that the issue was broken wires in the transition area. Is there enough wire there to splice? How do you do this repair? Other than replacing the harness.
Mel

blacksnapon

Staff member
Thanks alot for the information, I was afraid that the issue was broken wires in the transition area. Is there enough wire there to splice? How do you do this repair? Other than replacing the harness.
Mel
pull the door panel off, you can work the bellows in or out to get a look at the wiring bundle (theres a lot of them) Generally, theres enough wire to put a connector in, if not, just splice in some extra wire.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts