Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

5th wheel in a short bed

I have an 06 F350 psd cc lariat shortbed. I am looking at putting a fifth wheel hitch in it. I am thinking about the reese signature series, with a slider. I have read about 5th wheels in short beds all over the net, but I thought that I would ask your opinions. I think a 5er with an extended pin box will give me plenty of clearance most of the time, I should only have to use the slider when backing in tight spots. I would also like to have the cabability to have a gooseneck hitch and I want the bed to be as clean as posible when the hitch/hitches are out of it.

sounds like you did all the work FF. i looked at it and was told not to do it in a short bed.("91 Reg cab shortbed)
it was corner clearance issues. i think you've got that cleared. please let me know. i'd like to tow a 5ther

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Many 5th wheel designers are now designing their 5th wheels to be accomodated by short bed trucks. They are raising the floor over the bed and rounding the front corners.

They are expensive though.

Many 5th wheel designers are now designing their 5th wheels to be accomodated by short bed trucks. They are raising the floor over the bed and rounding the front corners.

They are expensive though.

I haven't looked at any brand new campers. Alot of people buy new campers then don't use them. You can pick one up that is a few years old for half the cost. I doubt I will ever buy a "NEW" camper, just new to me.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
A few years back I was up camping and a buddy of mine had a Crew Cab Dodge ram short bed and it was fifth wheel capable. did just fine up to the point of jackknifing it on a hill and crushing the bed side.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
My roommates mother knocked the back window out of her shortbed Dodge TWICE with a fiver...

andym

Real men are fanatics
sounds like you did all the work FF. i looked at it and was told not to do it in a short bed.("91 Reg cab shortbed)
it was corner clearance issues. i think you've got that cleared. please let me know. i'd like to tow a 5ther

Carl, I think you're probably better off getting a different truck.

99% of the 5th wheels out there are too heavy for an F-150 to haul. Only the very smallest ones are going to be safe for you.

You could get a small travel trailer instead, something in the 20' range. Anything much bigger and again, too much weight to handle safely.

However, owning and having towed a travel trailer with a regular cab shortbed F-150, I would recommend against it. The wheelbase is just too short to be stable. I white-knuckled it all the way from Florida to California, and while I made it, I'm still finding pieces of my seat where I shouldn't because of the pucker factor. :D

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
I have an 06 F350 psd cc lariat shortbed. I am looking at putting a fifth wheel hitch in it. I am thinking about the reese signature series, with a slider. I have read about 5th wheels in short beds all over the net, but I thought that I would ask your opinions. I think a 5er with an extended pin box will give me plenty of clearance most of the time, I should only have to use the slider when backing in tight spots. I would also like to have the cabability to have a gooseneck hitch and I want the bed to be as clean as posible when the hitch/hitches are out of it.

I have a Reese slider that pins in in my 06 shortbed 6.0 PSD F250. Works just fine. I pull a 2000 Jayco Designer XL thats 32 feet long. If you're planning on putting it in a shortbed however, a slider is a MUST, ESECIALLY if you're planning on parking your trailer in tight corners. I INTENTIONALLY stayed away from a longbed, because I generally pull my trailer to work, and drilling rig locations tend to be very tight and cramped for space. I find that the shortbed/slider combo is IDEAL for maneuvering in tight spaces.

You won't use it that much, but when you do, it's a Godsend.

Gunner

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Gunner

Thank you for the info. Makes me feel alot better to hear from someone who has the same setup I will have and know that it works.

Thanks

Perez

One caveat. You have to think through your fuel stops a little more carefully. If you get someplace tight, you WILL have to use your slider to get out of tighter convience stores, etc. I generally stick to truck stops when I get fuel pulling my trailer. I don't have any trouble going around corners etc, but if you have to pull a 180 or something like that, use your slide.

Gunner

One caveat. You have to think through your fuel stops a little more carefully. If you get someplace tight, you WILL have to use your slider to get out of tighter convience stores, etc. I generally stick to truck stops when I get fuel pulling my trailer. I don't have any trouble going around corners etc, but if you have to pull a 180 or something like that, use your slide.

Gunner

Thanks for the tips. Don't think I would have thought of that. I have experence with big trailers, just never in a short bed. I am used to being about to turn how ever sharp I would like too. Definately going to take some getting used to.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts