Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tire Quiz

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
If only replacing 2 tires, instead of 4, where do you put the 2 new tires?

a. front
b. rear
c. left side
d. right side

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
It makes no difference which end does the driving.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I put them on the front (it does the steering). I want to know that the steering tires are farther away from a catastrophic failure.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK

Fellro

Staff member
Wonder if that applies to snow and ice as well?

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Wonder if that applies to snow and ice as well?

From a front wheel drive/raction standpoint probably, but the rear of even a front wheel drive car with bald tires would do much the same on snow and ice as wet pavement.

Fellro

Staff member
Not quite bald, just less tread.. going to be having to do something soon.

I know I'm late getting in on this, and I haven't looked at the link yet, but my DAD taught me when I was young to put the new ones on the REAR because
a. Rear tires being rotated to the front have generally had less sidewall stress from cornering and such during their lifetime; Front tires will have more "give" something you do NOT want going on "out back"
b. In the event of a tire FAILING (blowing out) the odds are it will be one of the older ones and having those older tires on the front means you have more control, whereas rear tires blowing can cause a skid.

Fellro

Staff member
I've blown fronts and rears, never really had that much trouble maintaining control, but stopping is almost like driving on ice...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts