Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 ac clutches and serpentine belt question

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Need info on serpentine belt pulleys. Are all fords the same pitch/width? If so, cool. As many york 210 ac compressors came in early 80's fords. If not how much is a ac clutch for a 6.0l PSD? Working on an onboard air system, and trying to see if it is feasable to mount in the secondary alternator spot. (if it will fit)

Rusty Shackleford

Certified Ford Tech
Need info on serpentine belt pulleys. Are all fords the same pitch/width? If so, cool. As many york 210 ac compressors came in early 80's fords. If not how much is a ac clutch for a 6.0l PSD? Working on an onboard air system, and trying to see if it is feasable to mount in the secondary alternator spot. (if it will fit)

They come in 4,5,6,7 and 8 groove pulleys. Your 6.0 is an 8. They cost about 200 bucks for a complete reman. field, disc and pulley.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Cool, that is what I am looking for. Thanks Canadaguy.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Canada, one more question, are the trucks equipped with dual alternators using the same alt? IE. could I move the one mounted up top to the secondary position? As the compressor would be an easy fit in the primary location.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I think they are the same, I could be wrong, but I never have seen anything to the contrary. You making something for compressed air?

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Yep. Funny how one gets used to something then has to do without it. I used to have a 5 hp gas drive air comp in the back of my truck. Had to turn it back in when I made Superintendant. Got to reading up on the york 210 and how everyone is using them as an on board ac. No one makes the brackets for a PSD 6.0 (suprise suprise) and they get a pretty penny for a v-belt clutch and additional pulley, instead of using a s-tine pulley of the oem engine being installed upon. ARB air lockers, front and rear air bags, changing flats, air horns, airing up tires on the RV before moving it from storage, ect. ect. The compressor I had costs about $900, even using a brand new york would be a tad over $650. Less than $500 if you got a reman, less than $350 if you get a good used one from a bone yard.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
I think they are the same, I could be wrong, but I never have seen anything to the contrary. You making something for compressed air?

Ok Vince, next question, is the factory single alt wire harness long enough to move the alternator to the secondary position without butchering it? As the compressor is mountable vert to hor and any angle in between. So it may need to be mounted in the secondary position, instead of the alt. I guess its about hamburger/cheeseburger though, as the cac tube has to come off to do it either way.

blacksnapon

Staff member
The factory harness isn't much more than a pigtail. They do this because space is at a premium down there. There was some issues with the wires chafing (I had one get into the a/c pulley), so they bind them up pretty tight.

Rusty Shackleford

Certified Ford Tech
Canada, one more question, are the trucks equipped with dual alternators using the same alt? IE. could I move the one mounted up top to the secondary position? As the compressor would be an easy fit in the primary location.

The secondary alternator would run of another drive belt, not off the main accessory drive. I imagine that with some type of custom belt tensioner you may be able to do it. What you might want to do is look into a mounting bracket that a body outfitter may use to mount a hydraulic pump. They normally mount next to the alternator, with only a small modification made to the fan shroud and fan stator.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts