Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

oxygen sensor

I noticed the check engine light was on in my 2000 Ranger 3.0, I had a mechanic buddy hook up his machine to it and the code for a slow responding oxygen sensor came up. It seems like I'm not getting very good gas millage right now and the idle is a little rough. Could the oxygen sensor be the cause of this? If it's too difficult to replace I'll have my buddy do it, but if it's not to bad I'd like to give it a shot, but I don't work on cars very often any more. Any opinions?!?!?

blacksnapon

Staff member
I noticed the check engine light was on in my 2000 Ranger 3.0, I had a mechanic buddy hook up his machine to it and the code for a slow responding oxygen sensor came up. It seems like I'm not getting very good gas millage right now and the idle is a little rough. Could the oxygen sensor be the cause of this? If it's too difficult to replace I'll have my buddy do it, but if it's not to bad I'd like to give it a shot, but I don't work on cars very often any more. Any opinions?!?!?
Its very possible the sensor is defective. Just make sure its not something underlying thats causing one bank to cause an o2 sensor to read incorrectly. Clear the code and see if it comes back. The sensors unscrew using a 7/8 socket (specially made) or a 7/8 wrench. You might even swap sensors and see if the code follows the sensor.

sonicbluestx

Delaware Chapter member
o2 sensors are pretty simple. not a big deal to replace, the ones closest to the manifold are a bit tough to get to but nothing worth paying someone to do.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts