Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Wax review

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
Waxed the truck today and tried the Turtle Wax Ice. I didn't really care for it all that much. It went on easy but taking it off was a little different than any wax I have used before. Seemed like alot more buffing than normal and had to use microfiber cloth for best results. Started off buffing with 100% cotton towel but had to switch to the microfiber to get it to look good. The truck does look good but I'll be going back to the Mequires next time. YelloThumbUp

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
I should add that it does do what it claims about not having the white paste on the plastic and no white dust but didn't save anytime with the extra buffing involved. You can still tell if you get it on the plastic or black trim too. Just doesn't leave it white.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I don't mind the dust... blows off first time you drive it. Scott, was it not curing? Did you do this inside or outside?

Ryan

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
Did it in the garage with door open. The Ice is a clear liquid and dries to a light haze but it's not like the haze you get with a paste or other liquid wax it's kinda a clear haze.

The thing is Pam waxed the Mustang yesterday and used Mequires paste and I helped her buff it out and it was much easier to see what needed to be removed and alot less buffing involved.

The truck looks good and has a nice shine to it but the Ice's feature of not having the haze on plastic parts in my opinion is not enought to keep me from using a regular white haze wax.

A good tip for removing the white dust after waxing is to use a california car duster on it. Might be something most people know already but that is what I usually use after waxing.

I guess this is as good as any to start my "life" here.

My truck was new to me within the last 6 weeks but was a 'pre owned' vehicle. It has about 39K mikes on it and looks like the dealer was the only one to do a any detailing on it - my guess is that the previous owner lived on a dirt road as I have probably washed over 25 pounds of mud out from the underside. With that said, the paint had ground in dirt - a black truck that had a gray cast. I did a clay bar clean which really brought back the paint and color then polished with Meguiar's NXT. This is their new stuff and supposed to be a quality product. The truck does look great, the polish went on easy and came off the same way. Now, how long will it last. This truck is just too darned big and tall to wax it very often:headbang:

Maybe the old standby, Meguiars #26, would be better in the long run'hah' We'll see

Dave W

03Explorer

Missouri Chapter member
The Meguiar's NXT is what I used to wax the Pony and I think it looks great. It sure did bring the shine back to the 12 year old paint. I agree, it went on easy. I think I might have put it on a little thick but I didn't have that much trouble getting it off. The Mustang was the first car I have ever waxed. I liked the wax and will probably buy it the next time I wax the car.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
You're wasting your time, and money waxing anything without using a clay bar first. Car washes, polishes and wax will NOT remove pollution. Run your hand over that puppy...feel all those bumps? That's fallout. A clay bar removes it all, and don't forget the glass. Fallout isn't prejudiced...it lands there too. Drive into the sun, see all those blue spots? Those aren't pits, it's more fallout.

Rule of thumb:

Clay car first (in the shade on cool surfaces). Use one bar for the paint, another for the glass.

Use Meguiars NXT poly finish (or similar). Put it on, wait at least several hours....remove it, and do it again. Then put a good carnuba wax on. Two coats minimum.

If garaged, use a California Duster at least once a week.

Last edited:

Use Meguiars NXT poly finish (or similar). Put it on, wait at least several hours....remove it, and do it again. Then put a good carnuba wax on. Two coats minimum.

Clay bar then put two coats of NXT on????? then two more of carnuba???? My wife thinks I may be a masochist but I don't like THAT much suffering. I could hardly move my arm after clay barring and waxing my F350 CC ONCE:headbang:

Dave W

Hey bill, give me a hint. Who makes the clay bar kits? I've only found a clay bar kit once at an auto shop and haven't seen it since.

Ryan

Meguiars makes a fairly expensive one tho Eagle 1(Valvoline) is quite a bit less and is the one I use, having picked it up at a car show. It works really nice on my black truck.

I just took a look at the Eagle site and don't see the clay bars any longer so.......:blah:

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Rule of thumb:

Clay car first (in the shade on cool surfaces). Use one bar for the paint, another for the glass.

If garaged, use a California Duster at least once a week.
I'm not sure I understand, can you come out here and show me how to do that on this monster???

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Hey bill, give me a hint. Who makes the clay bar kits? I've only found a clay bar kit once at an auto shop and haven't seen it since.Ryan
10 bucks at AutoZone gets you a Meguiars clay bar kit and lubricant, or whiz over to Kragen, (or O'Reilly's, Aw Shucks, Checker, whatever..the same ownership) and get a Mother's kit for the same amount. If you run out of lubricant, the qwik detail works fine. Use Windex or Invisible Glass for the glass lubricant.

I'm a masochist when it comes to detailing. The truck looks like new...well, it oughtta, since it's only gone 4,000 miles in 19 months. I never wash vehicles, the dd truck (the make of which is not named to keep y'all from making snide comments) was last washed in March...2006. Don't forget, water and metal don't mix. Rust never sleeps.

10 bucks at AutoZone gets you a Meguiars clay bar kit and lubricant, or whiz over to Kragen, (or O'Reilly's, Aw Shucks, Checker, whatever..the same ownership) and get a Mother's kit for the same amount. If you run out of lubricant, the qwik detail works fine. Use Windex or Invisible Glass for the glass lubricant.

I'm a masochist when it comes to detailing. The truck looks like new...well, it oughtta, since it's only gone 4,000 miles in 19 months. I never wash vehicles, the dd truck (the make of which is not named to keep y'all from making snide comments) was last washed in March...2006. Don't forget, water and metal don't mix. Rust never sleeps.

Never seen such a thing. I half way though they were kidding on the explorer forum when I first heard someone post something about a clay bar a few years ago. LOL

Oh...I know what the truck is. :nana: I am too nosey not to dig. :redface: I won't tell though. Bill would be upset with me and stop answering my silly questions. 'hah'

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I'm not sure I understand, can you come out here and show me how to do that on this monster???
Sure, the next time I'm in the Show Me state, I'll show you. Nothing to it, and at 6-5, who needs a step ladder?
:cooldude:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Oh...I know what the truck is. :nana: I am too nosey not to dig. :redface: I won't tell though. Bill would be upset with me and stop answering my silly questions. 'hah'

This "Nosy Parker" above ^^^ discovered I use the same user name elsewhere. Now, he's chomping at the bit to let the cat oughtta the bag. :nono:

Careful Brian...or no more part numbers for you...'hah'

Actually I could care less, Brian...so when the urge strikes you, go ahead.

I didn't buy it to prove anything, it's just a better fit for this old cantankerous SOB.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts