Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Why would I find plastic pieces in my oil pan?

Hello,

I have a 1999 2WD Expedition with the 5.4L Triton engine. I had been having some problems with oil pressure and the truck had been parked for over a year (as we have an extra vehicle). I was pretty certain the oil pump was OK and suspected the oil take-up tube screen (as I encountered a similar problem in the past). Not having the ability to lift the engine myself, I had been putting off doing anything. Well, I finally decided to see if how far I could get just trying to get the pan off (well, at least to use a flash light to try and inspect the screen etc if the pan was loose). Sure enough, it lacked 1" clearance on the rear side of the pan to come off completely.

HOWEVER, it did provide the ability to move the pan around and point a flash light in down over the top lip of the pan as well as move the pan so that I could see the bottom of the take up screen through the oil plug hole. What I found was NOT what I expected! :) The intake opening to the take up was indeed plugged, but NOT with sludge or wax sediment BUT with a chunk of hard, black PLASTIC! At this point, I used a screw driver through the oil plug opening to clear the obstruction to the take up. At the same time, seeing there to be potentially enough clearance to get my arm and hand over the top of the rim of the oil pan, I fished my hand down into the pan and pulled out 4 chunks of shattered plastic. I am attaching photos. The top piece was approx 5.5" wide and the bottom rightmost piece was wedged in the take up.

I proceeded to clear out as much other debris (sediment mainly) from the take up screen and then at the bottom of the pan with a key on a key ring around my index finger (so as not to have it slip off). I then put 1/2 can Seamfom in the pan (with the plug back in) and with a glove on cleaned out what more I could and drained it.

I assume these pieces must be from valves or something related. But plastic??!?!? I could not find any lookup on the part number on the long piece (F75E-6M256-A?), but I have not looked extensively. How did these get here and what does it mean for the engine? Though the truck has been parked and NOT driven, I have started it periodically and during the instances the oil pressure was showing normal, then engine seemed to run fine and showed no signs of anything out of what has been normal for it for past several years. While nothing like this should ever be in the oil pan, is this something that REQUIRES a rebuild?!? The truck has 170000 miles on it and is more a utility vehicle than regular transportation. Is the perhaps something I could investigate/repair (knowing I cannot lift or pull the engine)?

Thanks!

Mark

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
If someone can look up the part numbers on those, they can probably find out what they are. My best guess is that they are oil pan gaskets that broke loose. Have you ever had major engine work or pulled the oil pan? It's possible they were sheared off by over-tightening

Ryan

Not sure. I posted this on a few other forums and guy said it looked like it was a piece of the "timing chain guide". So, what's involved in getting at the timing chains to examine them? That sort of fits too as while I did not find this exact part number, I have since come across a part number that is similar and was for the right side timing chain guide.

Mark

A few forums??? lol you try to look up that part number and dam.. all you see is your posts..

One of the pieces in you pan is your right side timing chain guide.

ANything timing related on these engines isnt really fun...if i remember right, to get at the chains and remove them.. you engine is coming out be thankful its not the 3V 5.4

to help you see it heres a diagram of the front of a 5.4...

7924fg53L.gif

Last edited:
heres some other pictures too that i found for you

look on the Left of the picture to see the RIGHT SIDE timing chain guide
img093.jpg

img091.jpg

blacksnapon

Staff member
The engine doesn't have to be removed to service the guides. Just be real mindful of the chains and getting them back in time.

my question, how did the guide break?

Im thinkin that maybe the chains got some slack in it or worn out and it hit too hard and broke the plastic.

if the chains have slack, theres more problems too, cause theres tensioners on these chains too

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts