Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Radiator problem

Found out today my radiator in my 2000 ranger has a leak.

I figure I can replace it on my own, but I dont know what route I sohuld go. Get a new one? if so, from a junk yard? or an aftermarket one?

Should I get it repaired? The leak is apparently very small, as it hasn't overheated yet, and I dont know how long its been leaking (I just noticed it the past couple days)

Thanks for any info.

Fellro

Staff member
Leaks on aluminum radiators suck. First though, find out WHERE the leak is. Sometimes the plastic tanks crack, then leak, and the tanks can be replaced. If it is from the core, not many shops will fix them. Then you are bettor of getting it replaced, salvage parts for that new of a vehicle is a viable option.

Check radiators.com before you buy used. Fixing is usually cheaper, but that depends on where the leak is.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
I would replace the radiator with a new one. Since you are draining the coolant, replace your thermostat, and check your hoses while you are at it.

It's not the plastic tank. I can see fluid dripping from the radiator itself.. I think about halfway up on the side is where its visible. Of course it may noe be the side but thats where it's coming out at.

Fellro

Staff member
I was referring to the plastic end caps, calling them tanks...The true aluminum part is the center core, the end caps are called tanks...

Oh ok.. Havent seenthose. I am not too mechanic friendly and haven't really examined the radiator much. I'll try and take a look at those when I get a chance. Thanks!

Fellro

Staff member
Some have tried to JB weld the tanks, but my experience has been that never lasts... not on the plastic anyway.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts