Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ball Joint Boots

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
In the process of trying to track down the front-in noise in my little Ranger, I noticed that the boots on both bottom ball joints are cracked. With Rusty's post about the inner tie-rod joints, I'm planning on replacing the inner, and outer tie-rod ends on both sides. Even though the ball joints are tight, I'm
thinking about replacing the lower ball joints also.

Here are a couple shots of the ball joint boots:

180671883-L.jpg

180671825-L.jpg

180682199-L.jpg

Any thoughts on this? I've been hearing good things about Moog replacement parts (like they have grease zerks). Any opinions if the Moog parts would be
better than the Ford replacement parts?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
it possible but its all a preference. rubber is rubber with the exception of a few chemicals. motorcraft balljoints are pretty good and i have used many motorcraft parts and the quality is there. price compare and good luck.

Bob Ayers

Durham, NC
it possible but its all a preference. rubber is rubber with the exception of a few chemicals. motorcraft balljoints are pretty good and i have used many motorcraft parts and the quality is there. price compare and good luck.

Thanks for your post! Based on the cracks in my lower ball joint boots, do you think it would be a good idea to replace the lower ball joints? As far
as replacement parts, the highest quality is my top priority.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
i would suggest you replace the ball joints soon because its the damage you cant see that can destroy stuff, and without zerks, you cant flush them.

a little secret about "ford" part and "motorcraft" parts. they are basically the same identical part whether its brake pads or ball joints. there might be a minor difference here or there but it is all the same. the reason ford parts are higher, is due to all the r&d that is done and the parts having to meet strict guideline for warranty repair. motorcraft is basically the same part under a different name in a different box.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Any noticing the pattern? Last month Aaron was TOTM and had some issue with his truck. This month it is Bob who is TOTM and now he has an issue.

I am just asking.....[confused]
PLEASE GOD DON'T PICK MINE!!:cooldude:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
The boots are Ford basic part number 3332. They are available separately. No parts books this new, or I'd pass along the complete part number.

andym

Real men are fanatics
A little late, but here's my two cents anyway.

Moog suspension parts are just as good as the Ford parts IMO. As for those ball joints, I would wait until they get loose before replacing them.

Bob Ayers

Durham, NC
A little late, but here's my two cents anyway.

Moog suspension parts are just as good as the Ford parts IMO. As for those ball joints, I would wait until they get loose before replacing them.

Thanks for your post, even if it is a little late!!! Yes, I replaced the inner and outer tie-rod ends, and lower ball joints, with Moog parts!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts