Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

UH OH, the secret is out!

blacksnapon

Staff member
I guess GM is a little behind the curve, huh Vince?

Those two seemed like a couple of hacks......the cab jumped on the lift like it was hung up one something when they started up with it, and there was fluid pouring out after they lifted the cab. I wonder if those two things were related?

blacksnapon

Staff member
I guess GM is a little behind the curve, huh Vince?

Those two seemed like a couple of hacks......the cab jumped on the lift like it was hung up one something when they started up with it, and there was fluid pouring out after they lifted the cab. I wonder if those two things were related?
Oh well, they're learning!

blacksnapon

Staff member
Kinda funny how it looks, doesn't it, but i can understand how it can cut the total time in half for ya.
The time for cab removal is more than offset by the ease of working on it. Just imagine lifting those 150 pound heads at arms length, or torqueing the headbolts in cab pulling close to 225 lb ft.

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
The time for cab removal is more than offset by the ease of working on it. Just imagine lifting those 150 pound heads at arms length, or torqueing the headbolts in cab pulling close to 225 lb ft.
smilieIagree
Oh, i can imagine. I wish i had the cab off my truck to do the spark plugs alone since the passenger side back one is under the firewall. :headbang: But, i do understand on lifting a head that heavy off and the ease of it without the cab to be in your way. When my truck gets modifications, i'm sure the cab or the engine will be out smilieFordlogo

blacksnapon

Staff member
Wow vince i didnt know it was that big of a difference, i do agree a motor is easier to work on with it out of the truck or the cab off...
Its not required to pull the cab, but it makes it so much easier for me. Some of the young studs with strong backs and weak minds still work on 'em cab on tho.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I know they made a few changes on on the newer Super Duties to make it easier to pull the cab, but as a strictly theoretical question:

Could you pull the cab and front clip off any truck in one piece like that? Say, a gen-9, or my Ranger?

It may be a dumb question, but I haven't got a good enough idea of how the pieces are fastened together to know the answer, even on my own truck.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I guess I haven't been under the hoods of these trucks very much, but why does removing the cab help cut time?
A lot of these trucks have the engines set back so far, fully a third if it is under the cowl. Many are so tightly packed in there that A/C components have to be removed to get access to the passenger headbolts.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Could you pull the cab and front clip off any truck in one piece like that? Say, a gen-9, or my Ranger?

It may be a dumb question, but I haven't got a good enough idea of how the pieces are fastened together to know the answer, even on my own truck.
Essentially, you're lifting the "unibody". All the body panels are attached to the unibody (even the ranger). Now, I haven't had any reason to pull the cab on a Ranger though (everything is easy to get to).

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts