Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ballpark costs for 84 F-150 resto/mods

Hey all,

My brother-in-law is looking to get his old 84 F150 back from the guy he sold it to years ago and wanted me to see if I could come up with an estimate on what it would cost to overhaul it.

He wants to put a fresh engine in, lift it 3-4" and put 33-35" wheels on it, it is a 4 x 4 that still currently works but he had concerns of needing more low-end for parking, pulling out from lights, etc typical 302 concerns. Can you just install a lower gear set in the rear differential or will that cause problems?

It would likely be a big hassle to put a 302HO motor out of a mustang with the fuel injection but I don't see why his intake manifold wouldn't work on a HO motor with his carb- probably have to use his old dizzy. But again I had a blown, h/c/i 306 ho in my 5.0 and I wouldn't call it a stump puller.

Is a 351 swap pretty straight forward?

I was considering building him a 351 windsor if it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to put in considering headers/manifolds.... The mounts/oilpan/bellhousing should bolt up correct?

I know nothing about lifting a truck!

Thanks
Andrew

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
-The truck alone...1500-2000 if it's in good condition
-Fresh engine...I'll go the 351 route because it is a bolt in...first getting an engine should be less than 500, headers and intake could be as cheap as 3-400, but if you do mild rebuild, could be as high as 3 grand.
-4" lift from SkyJacker is gonna run you 1000-1500 depending on which system
-33-35" tires are gonna run you anywhere from $150-350 depending on brand, height and width
-gear swap will run you 1000

All in all, it could be as cheap as...$4900 or as high as 9400...just depends on what quality and how in depth you get.

Last edited:

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Is the truck even your brother in law's yet?It sounds like the guy he sold it too still owns it.I'd worry about securing the truck first before you even think about modding it.

:suspicious:
Hey all,

My brother-in-law is looking to get his old 84 F150 back from the guy he sold it to years ago and wanted me to see if I could come up with an estimate on what it would cost to overhaul it.

He wants to put a fresh engine in, lift it 3-4" and put 33-35" wheels on it, it is a 4 x 4 that still currently works but he had concerns of needing more low-end for parking, pulling out from lights, etc typical 302 concerns. Can you just install a lower gear set in the rear differential or will that cause problems?

It would likely be a big hassle to put a 302HO motor out of a mustang with the fuel injection but I don't see why his intake manifold wouldn't work on a HO motor with his carb- probably have to use his old dizzy. But again I had a blown, h/c/i 306 ho in my 5.0 and I wouldn't call it a stump puller.

Is a 351 swap pretty straight forward?

I was considering building him a 351 windsor if it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to put in considering headers/manifolds.... The mounts/oilpan/bellhousing should bolt up correct?

I know nothing about lifting a truck!

Thanks
Andrew

why do you need low end for parking ?
parking on the moon?
i even seen guys with 6 bangers park unaided...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
How Long is a Chinaman?

:D

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts