Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Asking for Advice, Tips, and Good jokes

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
Hey, I have a 93 F-350 CC 4X4, loaded with a V8 5.8L backed by a E40D tranny. Looking to replace alot of stuff, and trying to improve MPG. Whatcha got for me?

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Hey, I have a 93 F-350 CC 4X4, loaded with a V8 5.8L backed by a E40D tranny. Looking to replace alot of stuff, and trying to improve MPG. Whatcha got for me?
Why did the F-350 cross the road???

To wizz on a chebby!!!

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba

start buy giving it a complete tune up
oil / oil filter
spark plug and spark plug wires
cap and rotor
chek timing should be at 10 BTDC you can advance it a little to 12 BTDC
chek codes (www.fordfuelinjection.com)
fuel pressure at rail..

uhmm give your tranny and oil and filter change..

etc etc ;)

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
ok, aside from the obvious stuff....clowns...LOL

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Free flowing headers and exhaust. A gear swap to a lower (numerically) gear, and dropping tire size.

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
Ok Fball, Manufacturer, Model, might be useful..LOL

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Like I said in another thread, I'm not a SB guy...was just listing the basics on what helps mpg's. Do you want me to do all the work...sheesh...haha. Anyway, Hooker headers are always good, dunno if Doug Thorley has headers for a 350 with a SB or not, but if they do, I'd go that route. As for exhaust, go a dual 2.25" pipe with magnaflow/cherrybomb/hooker mufflers. For gears...go with 3.73's a good in between gear...from Randy's. As for tires...go with an A/T, usually less lugs so less weight which will help in rotating mass...probably go with a 33...about as small as you can go on a 350 and not look stupid.

With all that said...you're probably looking at $5-600 in headers, 500 in exhaust, 1000 in gears, and 1200 in tires. So if you're worried about mpg's, take that same 3k and put it towards a 90's civic or something and get 35mpg's. Then turn your truck into a kick azz ride.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
put a egg under the gas pedal :)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ben the only thing you're even remotely close to with your prices is the tires and even that's a little high....

Thorley headers are $712 (obviously cheaper if he goes with hooker), full dual exhuast running out the back is gonna run $600, tires are $200 a pop, gears front and rear with labor sure as hell is 1000...so where was I off. The way I see it, that's $3100...maybe a little over the top...but I'd rather have more cash at the end than not enough. So figure a legit 2500.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Figure 175 a pop for tires and that's a name brand plus more like 400 for full exhaust...man you must be getting ripped on your exhaust.....And yea hooker headers are just fine but my link was a list of all the headers summit carries for that model...gears I can see where it'd be a grand if not a little more.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Figure 175 a pop for tires and that's a name brand plus more like 400 for full exhaust...man you must be getting ripped on your exhaust.....And yea hooker headers are just fine but my link was a list of all the headers summit carries for that model...gears I can see where it'd be a grand if not a little more.

33x12.5x16.5 BFG A/T's are 179.99 plus tax, plus mounting and balancing...so that's where I came to the $200 a tire. I figured $400 for the exhaust pipe including labor, plus $60 a muffler (so we're off $80 there). Headers, you're right he can get for $200 plus tax. Gears we're the same on. So was I really off that far from you? I think not, except I prefer to not go with the cheapy headers and I included muffler costs. Like I said...I'd much rather be money ahead in the end than short a couple hundred. I like to prepare for the worst, but hope for the best.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
well, I can do most of the labor myself, so that will help, and if I don't know how to do something, I'm sure I know someone who does

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
well, I can do most of the labor myself, so that will help, and if I don't know how to do something, I'm sure I know someone who does

Yeah...you can knock off an easy 300 from my exhaust guesstimation and 5-600 from gears if you do that yourself. However, I must say, unless you're confident in your gear install skills, I'd definitely have someone that is do it. That way, if something goes wrong, you have someone to make it right.

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
besides the fact that it taste like crap? Your right

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts