Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Weird no start occasionally

Hi guys,

I guess this is the correct forum. I have a no-start issue occasionally with my 56.

Once in a while (3 or 4 times now) when I turn the key to the start position nothing happens. I can't hear well, but I don't hear anything clicking.

The battery is charged. I run about 14 volts going down the road even with the generator. I have put the charger on it to see twice now to see. It has a digital read out and shows it is fine.

When the no start happens, I set the hand brake, make sure it is in neutral, put the key in the run position, and I jump it across the solenoid with two screwdrivers and she starts fine every time.

The weird thing is it is not any set pattern or just won't start at all. It is very random. You never know.......

I assume it is either the solenoid going out or the ignition switch. Am I way off and how do I check them?

Thanks,
Brian

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
The next time it doesn't start, try and measure 12V going to the solenoid from the ignition switch. The 12V comes to the solenoid via one of the 2 small wires on the solenoid. If you don't measure 12V, it's probably the ignition switch, or a wiring problem. If you do measure 12V, then the
problem is the solenoid.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
Measure it with the key in the running position or the start position?

I have a cheap craftsman digital multimeter in the glove box. I just didn't know what to check.

Start position....this will probably 2 people, or connect your meter with alligator clips, and set it where you can watch it while taking the ignition switch to the start position. The negative lead for yout meter goes to ground, and the positive to one of the solenoid small wire terminals....sorry
I don't have a wiring digram to tell you which wire goes to the ignition switch.

Hopefully, the problem will be there long enough for you to do the measurements.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts