Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fake Mustang?

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
This is one for Bill.....Check out these shots of a 2005 Mustang. They were taken at a car show in Henderson, NC last October. The owner has installed a "cammer" 427, and modified a window sticker to make it look like it came
from the factory with the 427:

104274840-L.jpg

104274838-L.jpg

104274852-L.jpg

104274861-L.jpg

104274848-L.jpg

104274865-L.jpg

104274850-L.jpg

Fellro

Staff member
some people have more money than they know what to do with...NIce install, but just a LOT of money there...

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Uh huh...yeah right.

HAH! :rofl:

He made an obvious mistake with the window sticker, it reads wrong. Where the vehicle is described, he's made mention of the "optional" engine. That wouldn't be listed there. The basic 4.6 engine that came with the model would be shown, the 427 engine would then be listed on the options list (as it is).

If the car came standard with that engine...then AND ONLY THEN, would the engine be in the vehicle description, and it then WOULD NOT be listed on the options list.

Another mistake: The EPA mileage figures are for the 4.6 engine. If that 427 came from the factory, optional or otherwise, IT would be listed, not the 4.6.

Who is he fooling? Newbies, the un-informed, and wanna-be's. I can hear it now: "Oh, that's factory!"

Oh what a tangled web we weave, when we practice to deceive.

Anybody that has been collecting these rolling piles of misery for decades wouldn't be fooled. Not for a second.
=========================================================
The SOHC 427 was built (introduced in 1969) for one purpose originally: NASCAR. It was banned almost immediatly.

Just think, a 427 SOHC engine in a Torino Talledega, with Richard Petty behind the wheel. What a winning combination.

HUH? Richard Petty? Driving a Ford?

That's right, in 1969 only. What was the inducment? That SOHC 427 engine.

Oh well...

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I think it was more for the visual display than to fool anybody.

Now all we need to do is build the Boss 429 outta the new Mustang.
I'd like to park my carcass next to that Mustang with a tape recorder running for several hours. I wonder what the owner will admit, and what he'll deny?

Owners of vehicles exhibited at car shows are usually well informed...on the vehicles they collect. Take them away from their field of knowledge...to paraphrase Will Rogers: "The best way to make an educated car collector stupid, is take them off the cars they're educated in."

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I think it was more for the visual display than to fool anybody.

Now all we need to do is build the Boss 429 outta the new Mustang.
Nah! I think we need to make a diesel powered Mustang!! I got a spare 6.0L. It we build it up like mine, it'll be a 650HP 1400lbs-ft MONSTER. Instead of Mustang, we'll have to call it a Clydesdale!! Ford oughta help out with that. Build it up in St. Louis with the Anhauser-Busch guys. Could use a Stang to pull the old wagon. Yeah, that'd be freakin' KEWEL!!

it can still give a stiffy to a Mustang fan.... i need to reposition my LT

Nah! I think we need to make a diesel powered Mustang!! I got a spare 6.0L. It we build it up like mine, it'll be a 650HP 1400lbs-ft MONSTER. Instead of Mustang, we'll have to call it a Clydesdale!! Ford oughta help out with that. Build it up in St. Louis with the Anhauser-Busch guys. Could use a Stang to pull the old wagon. Yeah, that'd be freakin' KEWEL!!

A diesel mustang would be a weird-sounding, smelly, extra-dirty, hard-to-start-in-the-wintertime masterpiece :rofl:

A diesel mustang would be a weird-sounding, smelly, extra-dirty, hard-to-start-in-the-wintertime masterpiece :rofl:
While I can't agree with the hard to start in the winter time part, I totally agree otherwise. The weight would be the big issue, as a powerstroke is too heavy for an F 150.......hell, it's hard on ball joints in an F 250 and 350!!!

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Have you driven a modern diesel? So, yeah they still smell like a diesel, but dirty and hard to start? NOT! I can work undermy hood and stay clean. No issue at all in winter time starts. Now, my wife's Taurus with the Duratec 3.0L has winter starting issues, but not my 6.0L.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
While I can't agree with the hard to start in the winter time part, I totally agree otherwise. The weight would be the big issue, as a powerstroke is too heavy for an F 150.......hell, it's hard on ball joints in an F 250 and 350!!!

international makes a 4cyl diesel engine.
so does cummins

but we will stick with international

SOHC Mustang

HAH! :rofl:

He made an obvious mistake with the window sticker, it reads wrong. Where the vehicle is described, he's made mention of the "optional" engine. That wouldn't be listed there. The basic 4.6 engine that came with the model would be shown, the 427 engine would then be listed on the options list (as it is).

If the car came standard with that engine...then AND ONLY THEN, would the engine be in the vehicle description, and it then WOULD NOT be listed on the options list.

Another mistake: The EPA mileage figures are for the 4.6 engine. If that 427 came from the factory, optional or otherwise, IT would be listed, not the 4.6.

Who is he fooling? Newbies, the un-informed, and wanna-be's. I can hear it now: "Oh, that's factory!"

Oh what a tangled web we weave, when we practice to deceive.

Anybody that has been collecting these rolling piles of misery for decades wouldn't be fooled. Not for a second.
=========================================================
The SOHC 427 was built (introduced in 1969) for one purpose originally: NASCAR. It was banned almost immediatly.

Just think, a 427 SOHC engine in a Torino Talledega, with Richard Petty behind the wheel. What a winning combination.

HUH? Richard Petty? Driving a Ford?

That's right, in 1969 only. What was the inducment? That SOHC 427 engine.

Oh well...

Hey! the guy's just having fun. I'm sure he's not trying to pass it off as an original equipment car. But in any case Ford had the 427 SOHC in test beds on the roads in 1963 and 1964. In 1965 Ford and Holman-Moody took a pair of cars to Daytona to get Bill France to approve thecars for NASCAR because Chrysler was running the 426 Hemi so Ford tried to pass it off as just another design of a Hemi engine. Bill France didn't buy it but he did allow Ford to run 2fours and the Hemi had to run only 1. Then Ford pulled out thier trump card and brought the Tunnel Port 427 and 396 engines to NASCAR. This made Chrysler so upset they pulled out of NASCAR for a year or so. They couldn't compete with ony 1 carb against Ford's 2 carbs. The next year Bill France relented and reinstated the 2 fours for Chrysler and the playing field became a bit more even. By 1967 King Richard was tired of playing catch up with the Fords and Ford was in the process opf getting a new CEO, Mr Bunky Knudsen who made it a priority to get Richard Petty and steal a lot of Chrysler's thunder. The car Petty drove was a Fairlane/Torino Talladega with the Nascar Version of the Boss 429. Petty did not have a good season running the Ford and if memory serves, Petty left Ford at about the same time Knudsen did. I don't believe he won more than 1 race that year.
As a small aside, in December 1970 Ford had at least six 366 cid versions of the Boss 429 engines in the garage area at Daytona for NASCAR to accredit should NASCAR finally decide to mandate a 6 liter engine size maximum. These engines were nearly identical with the 429's, just scaled down. They looked almost the same size, but not quite.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts