Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Wheel Bearings or "Needle Bearings"????

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Is there a difference between the "needle bearings" for a 4X4 (as mentioned in my service manual and the normal front "bearings" in the front hub assembly?

I am confused???

Are the hub bearings in my 2003 4X4 Excursion sealed or do they need to be re-packed? What are the "needle bearings" my manual states need to be done every 30,000 miles (which I have not done).

I now have 101,000 miles and what do I need to do (if anything) for the front hubs, bearings or needle bearings???

Thanks...

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Jeff,

The OEM bearings are sealed needle bearing units that according to FMC are greased for the life of the unit and designed to be replaced when they fail. That being said there is a write up on how to re-grease the OEM needle bearings.
http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/nblube.html

Also another option is to replace the OEM sealed units with the Dynatrac "Free Spin" kit that use re-greaseable "Timken" bearings.
www.dynatrac.com/products_freespin_ford.html

Kep4

Jäger
The lube procedure seems directed at vehicles with ESOF. Would manual hub trucks need/use the same procedure? Do the dreaded unit bearing failures happen mainly to ESOF equipped trucks?

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
The lube procedure seems directed at vehicles with ESOF. Would manual hub trucks need/use the same procedure? Do the dreaded unit bearing failures happen mainly to ESOF equipped trucks?

The sealed needle bearings and axle assembly are the same on Manual and Automatic hubs. It is also a good idea to periodically remove, clean, inspect the seals and re-grease the Automatic hubs as they are more prone to problems from dirt contamination than the manual hubs are.

Kep4

Jäger
Thank you!

I've heard of this issue and Dynatrac makes it seem like it happens with regularity. I've not seen one post on any board which I've frequented in the past 2 1/2 years where this has happened to a Super Duty. Is their kit a high-dollar cure for a rare issue?

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Thank you!

I've heard of this issue and Dynatrac makes it seem like it happens with regularity. I've not seen one post on any board which I've frequented in the past 2 1/2 years where this has happened to a Super Duty. Is their kit a high-dollar cure for a rare issue?

Actually front wheel bearing failure is not that rarre, there are several posts in the SD forum over at the other site on this alone. When they go out, anywhere from 50K-150K miles they have to be replaced as an assembly, its about $550 per side for parts plus labor. Last time i looked the Dynatrac kit was $1400 IIRC.

The factory front wheel bearings tend to fail quicker if you are in bad weather alot, off road alot or have a lot of weight on your truck all the time. The Dynatrac kits are bullet proof, as Dynatrac has always specialized in building extremely heavy duty axles and components for the off road crowd.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts