Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Shocks???

What kind of shocks does everyone recomend for my '05 F250 CC 4X4 PSD? ...I'm starting to think about replacing the stock shocks. I don't have Rancho's on my truck as the Harley Edition didn't have an FX4 option available. I thought I read somewhere that Bilstien's were the hot setup...

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Yep, Bilstein's!! 5100's I believe. I've got them for mine, just haven't changed them out yet.

Kep4

Jäger
I ordered my truck with the FX4 option, before everybody figured out the Rancho shocks were Rancho 'branded' shocks. They were not impressive! Shoulda just ordered the skid plate option. Anyhoo...

Replaced them at 5K with Rancho 9000X 9-way adjustable shocks because the Ranchos on my 94 Bronco had worked well. They didn't work well on my PSD. I had the Heavy Duty suspension option on my truck and the Ranchos were too soft on the highway and too rough around town. No matter the adjustment they were never right. They were especially poor at controlling the front end.

Poop-canned them at 34K and replaced with Bilsteins. Yeah Baby!

Far better control of the front end, does not bottom nearly as hard and much better when towing, more control and smoother.

I'd also recommend the Bilstein leveling kit as it's a great improvement over the factory front coils.

I have heard great things about the bilsteins (sp?) on other sites. They are expensive though.

Do not buy the no name cheap ones. I went though a set of those real quick on my ranger. I ended up with Monroe gas magnums on it because that is all the cash I had at the time. They are still on it from about 96 or so.

OFF TOPIC: How does one go about finding what shocks will fit a truck?

Umm...this is way off topic, but no one lists shocks for a 56 and I need to get some decent ones. Is there some specific measurements they need or something?

If this is too far off topic, have a goose delete this. I can start a thread later in the F-100 area.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
OFF TOPIC: How does one go about finding what shocks will fit a truck?

Umm...this is way off topic, but no one lists shocks for a 56 and I need to get some decent ones. Is there some specific measurements they need or something?
Funny, I found them first try Brian.

Shocks & Accessories for a Ford F100 F150 Pickup 2WD 1956

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/index.cfm?mode=results&selected_model=3994&selected_year=1956

Shocks & Accessories for a Ford F250 Super Duty Pickup 4WD 2006

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/index.cfm?mode=results&selected_model=4001&selected_year=2006

Last edited:
Yeah...Monroe (rear ones). The parts houses don't even list those.

There was no F-150 in 56 though. :rofl:

I will dig around on that site and see if other brands are listed.

I contacted bilstein directly and they said I would have to measure (didn't tell me what) and compare to a chart they had. They did not list them in their reference stuff. Whatever it was the guy had.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Bilstein "HD" on stock suspension trucks or Bilstein "5100" on a lifted truck, only way to go.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Bilsteins....

Check out www.eshocks.com for great pricing and free shipping when you buy four of them... I did... and love them!!

Enjoy....

Absolutley Bil's. no reason to do less if you can afford Bilstien's. i've got Rancheros in my 150 and like the ride. it rides like a truck.
i bet Bil's smooth out what i feel pulling my boat.

andym

Real men are fanatics
This reminds me... maybe I should think about replacing the factory shocks on my 90 Bronco?

There are two things not to like about my F350/V10.

1. the rate of drop in the gas gauge (to be expected in a ~7000# beast of burden, and from all indicators, mine is about what the 6.4 PSD's do for fuel mileage)
2. the fact that the FX4 Rancho Branded shocks make it ride like a loaded lumber wagon as it skitters over the bumps:hammer: .

With that said, gas mileage is what it is:headbang: , but the shocks sure aren't. S-o-o-o at 40K+ miles, it looks like a set of Bilsteins are in my future and are supposed to be the "best available" for this truck!!!

That is, unless someone has a better option!!

I think the best and biggest shock going is when RYAN buys. ANYTHING.

There are two things not to like about my F350/V10.

1. the rate of drop in the gas gauge (to be expected in a ~7000# beast of burden, and from all indicators, mine is about what the 6.4 PSD's do for fuel mileage)
2. the fact that the FX4 Rancho Branded shocks make it ride like a loaded lumber wagon as it skitters over the bumps:hammer: .

With that said, gas mileage is what it is:headbang: , but the shocks sure aren't. S-o-o-o at 40K+ miles, it looks like a set of Bilsteins are in my future and are supposed to be the "best available" for this truck!!!

That is, unless someone has a better option!!

Got my Bilsteins- $272 later - they are on - major project, but what a difference.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts