Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Possible problem

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
I may have a problem that is just starting to show up. Twice now I have went to start my truck in the morning when I had trouble starting it. I had to crank it untill the oil pressure gauge came up. After that it started. I recently had the heads done and both oil pressure pumps were replaced.

I also just changed the oil about 2000 miles ago. I also now have 100852 miles on it.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
The only time that i would need to plug it in is in cold weather. I have never plug it up. It has started every time even in freezing weather with a foot of snow on the ground.

Just for kicks I think I'd load test the batteries to start with...low voltage can play all kinds of tricks on the FICM.

blacksnapon

Staff member
If it won't start until the oil pressure guage comes up, I'd start looking into an oil supply problem. Start with the easy stuff (oil filter, did it start happening right after the major work, etc). Pull the oil filter out, press down on the drainback valve and have someone crank it. The housing should fill up in 5 seconds or so. If not, you might have a low pressure issue.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
does it get worse when hot? drive the truck as hard as you can to get it screaming hot, then let it sit for 1 minute. if it will not start, or struggle to restart, then i would look at the oil rail plugs and or standpipes in the oil rail. the orings are bad about blowing out.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Both times that it has did this is after sitting over night. It cranked fine this morning and ran fine all day.

Yesterday after it cranked it was fine. Never had a problem the rest of the day.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
I think it is an early 04. Where would I look for the icp sensor?

It will be Tuesday or Wednesday before I get back to my truck. I left it in Atlanta while I came home for the weekend. It has cranked fine ever since then.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Ok the truck is officially dead. The truck ran fine yesterday. I went to crank it this morning and nothing. It will turn over, oil pressure comes up, but no start. I unpluged the icp and still no start. I am thinking ficm. I have to get it towed to the dealer to find out the problem.

It is a late 04. icp on the valve cover.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Ok the truck is officially dead. The truck ran fine yesterday. I went to crank it this morning and nothing. It will turn over, oil pressure comes up, but no start. I unpluged the icp and still no start. I am thinking ficm. I have to get it towed to the dealer to find out the problem.

It is a late 04. icp on the valve cover.

Sorry to hear that. Keep us posted..

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
This is a 04 truck. The high pressure pump has been replaced.

I am going to try to get it towed to the dealer this week. the only problem is that I will be out of town.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I just went through a similar problem, good luck! And keep us posted.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Has the stc fitting been ruled out? And is it true that there are two kinds of '05 stc fittings, those that have failes and those that will?

03-04 use a different style pump and fitting set up that don't usually blow out. The 05 and up fittings blow apart at the quick disconnect fitting, the new upgraded part is one solid piece no more blowing out.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Well here is an update. Last Sunday before I left to go to work. I decided to start the truck once more. Guess what? It started. I just came in tonight and went to start and it started.

What could be up with this truck. Maybe a loose plug on something? This truck did have a cab off in January.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
you need to look at pids when the truck is a no start to see exactly what is going on. for every 1 way the 73 could fail, the 60 has at least 7 within no starting issues. it could be oil related, fuel related, or many electrical issues related.

try to find a scanner to either check codes right now, or keep it hooked up long enough to find the issue.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts