Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

F350 Going wild

Alright guys I am new on here, but I do like what I have read most everyone seems to be helpful and/or has some good ideas to help fix problems.

My problem, I have a 2005 F350 6.0, 4x4, Last Monday I installed a S&B filter kit (entire intake) and a 4" MBRP exhaust with the cat delete. The truck has run great all week, only been driving short little trips here and there 1/2 hour on the road at a time. Well lastnight I drove back to NM from MO around the 400 mile mark when my turbo would spool my truck sounded like it was sucking air like never before and my gas mileage went to crap. As long as my turbo stayed around 10 psi it was good once she got above that it sounded like it was sucking with all it had. I pulled over at a truck stop thinking something had come loose, completely disassembled everything and then put it back together hoping I might have come across a loose connection in the process, no luck still does it.

ANY IDEAS? Thanks

blacksnapon

Staff member
Unfortunately, when things are changed (mbrp exhaust, intake changed, etc), the calibrations don't agree with this. The 05s still utilize the ebp sensor (exhaust back pressure). Its changed with the aftermarket exhaust. The maf sensor readings and the iat readings may be altered with the addition of the aftermarket intake. What you're probably experiencing is the pcm cycling the vgt to attempt getting a "reference point" for correct settings. You might pull your egr valve and look at it for soot buildup.

Thanks for the info. Let me ask this would it benefit me to just put the factory intake back on, or is this something that if I take it to a mechanic he can adjust it and make it work correctly?

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Thanks for the info. Let me ask this would it benefit me to just put the factory intake back on, or is this something that if I take it to a mechanic he can adjust it and make it work correctly?

There are no adjustments we can make. You may want to think about a programmer this way you could more or less tune it to what you have installed on the truck. The factory intakes are accually pretty decent.

Is there a special tool needed to remove the EGR valve, I can't get it to pull out easily and don't want to damage it if so. Also once i get it out what, if it is covered in soot what should I use to clean it?

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Is there a special tool needed to remove the EGR valve, I can't get it to pull out easily and don't want to damage it if so. Also once i get it out what, if it is covered in soot what should I use to clean it?

There is a special tool we use, but usually you can pry under it while rocking it around to get it out. If it still doesn't come out I would leave it in there. We used to use foaming carb cleaner to clean them, make sure you hold the electrical part faceing up while cleaning so nothing gets into it when you spray it.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I killed my EGR valve by cleaning it last spring. But, if you think that your's is on the way out anyway there's no harm in possibly putting the final nail in the coffin by cleaning it.

Well turned out to not be the EGR valve. The charge air cooler connection boot for the turbo had split apart on the underside of it. Took it to the dealer and warranty later, she was fixed and on the road. I would also like to say that the dealership here is badass, they didn't care that I had aftermarket performance parts on the truck.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts