Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

tail light help!!!!

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
smilieFordlogo smiliecrybaby :flipoff: ....alright yall i need a hand....my grandpas dog ripped out the rear wiring in my 84 f150 so the taillights/ tag lights dont work, period....it has been rewired by the previous owner so not all the wire colors are the same as stock...does any one know the wire orders or what color goes to where or anything? im screwed!!!!

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
smilieFordlogo smiliecrybaby :flipoff: ....alright yall i need a hand....my grandpas dog ripped out the rear wiring in my 84 f150 so the taillights/ tag lights dont work, period....it has been rewired by the previous owner so not all the wire colors are the same as stock...does any one know the wire orders or what color goes to where or anything? im screwed!!!!

I think you'd have to chase the wiring all the way to the cab.You can try to look at a wiring diagram,but I doubt it'd be much help to you....

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
oh woo hoo tjis is gonna be great....i can see little stubs of the wire still from the plugs

Ok this what I found,

Somebody painted over the wires, but this what I could see...

Drivers side going in to socket

Taillight-

Green w/ Orange stripe
Tan
Black

Reverse light-

Black w/ Tan stripe
Black

Passenger Side going into socket

Taillight-

ether Orange or Red w/ Grey stripe
Black w/ Tan stripe
Black

Reverse light-

Black w/ Grey stripe
Black

HTH

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Exactly how much of the truck was rewired?Is it rewired all the way to the cab,or just a couple inches of the harness?If it's just a couple inches of the harness,then you can go out to the junkyard and cut the harness out of another truck and splice it into your truck.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
it was just pieces from the socket to a plug in on a couple wires spliced with diff color wire i know a guy that says i can take his wiring harness out of a 79 f150...will it fit?

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I'm not entirely sure if it will,but i'd imagine the tailight sockets would be different.But don't quote me on it.Compare the sockets,and then try to find out where the original wiring stops,and then once you do,match the colors of your wires and his wires.

When I got my truck,it was missing the license plate socket and about 5 inches of both wires,so I went out to the junkyard and grabbed the socket and amount of wire I needed.I think I got it from an 8th gen truck(87-91),and it matched up perfect.All my taillight wires were also cut,but I was able to reattach all the wires with new wiring and a few connectors.It got them working.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
kool thanx for the help yall ill work on her this weekend and ill let yall know what happens

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
spent the after noon working on the lights...i rewired the entire rear end...we are good to go

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
i fixed the lighting issue i replaced all my rear sockets and bought a rear harness and everything is squared away now

bamboozled?

im having taillight trouble. with the light switch off i have brake lights but when i turn the turn signal switch both tail lights blink. when i turn light switch on nothing works in the back. ive used light tester and there is fire going to the bulb but bulbs wont light unless i turn off switch. up front every thing works properly. has any one encountered any thing like this? i just baught this truck. its a 1985 f-250 with the 6.9 :headbang:

blacksnapon

Staff member
im having taillight trouble. with the light switch off i have brake lights but when i turn the turn signal switch both tail lights blink. when i turn light switch on nothing works in the back. ive used light tester and there is fire going to the bulb but bulbs wont light unless i turn off switch. up front every thing works properly. has any one encountered any thing like this? i just baught this truck. its a 1985 f-250 with the 6.9 :headbang:
Seen them do that with the wrong bulbs, corroded sockets, improperly wired trailer light connectors, shorted wires. More investigation is in order.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Hmm... sounds like it could be an improper wiring job. Get a diagram and check out the color to see if they're where they should be leading into the rear harness.

I just went through my own pain in the *** wiring issues. I just grabbed a used harness off of a junker for $20. Easier done than said, believe it or not!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts