Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Expansion tank?

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I got some sort of expansion tank when we got the 410. It bolts in place of the thermostat housing and has a metal tube goin up from the thermostat to a little tank that looks like it holds half a gallon to a gallon. It has its own radiator cap and from the tank theres a short hose that goes to the upper radiator hose. Ill get a pic later of it. Im just not sure what it is cause it dont say anything about it in my books. What do yall think?

blacksnapon

Staff member
The old t-birds had those. Its a degas bottle of sorts, an overflow bottle if you will.

FTF'er
Im just not sure what it is cause it dont say anything about it in my books.
I see them referred to most often as "surge tanks". Some people also call them "burp tanks" or "expansion tanks".

I have no idea for sure why they were used on some cars. A thought that has been in my mind - It's possible that the water outlet of the engine was higher than the top of the radiator, so this tank had to be used to fill the cooling system? I don't know if that was the case on older cars or not... someone with a bit more experience may know.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Alright thanks guys Im not sure if ill use it or not im afraid that I might not have enough room under the hood of the truck for it to work, or itll fit but have a hose thats only a couple inches long.

FTF'er
It's one more thing to leak... I wouldn't use it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts