Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

410 build up

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Alright we finally got us a 410 and its been expensive so far. We paid 550 bucks to get it in the first place along with another 390 and the guy told us that he "rebuilt" the 410 with new rings and bearings and honed the block. It might be an original 410 and it might not be cause the block shares the same casting number as a 390 so were not sure. We also double checked the crank number and it has a 1u so that checks out fine. We got it home and had it sittin in the garage for a couple weeks then we decided to take a closer look at it. We found that he put all the rods and pistons in backwards and in the wrong order. I first noticed they were in backwards when we looked at it at the guys house and saw the little divots the are supposed to face towards the front of the motor were facing toward the rear. After dad saw that he said lets go ahead and look at the bearings. We get one of the rod bearings off and its down to the copper so then we check the mains and its the same thing so we tear it all down and get to the rear main and he either reused the old one or he trashed the new one. The side rubbers were all mushroomed out and there werent any nails in there also the two half circle pieces were extremly brittle and broke in half when we tried to get em out. So we took it to the machine shop and had em look at it and the guy there put a ring in the cylinder to check the gap and it was huge so we had em bore it .030 over and clean out all the oil passages and stuff along with redoin some heads we had done by the moron who did all the machine work on the 390 that was in the 76. The good machine shop told us that he had to replace every valve in em cause the other guy ground em down to nothin. We also had em get the broke off tap out of the intake manifold while they were at it. Also the crank needed to be turned .010 so we had em do that too. We got a 268/272 comp cam, arp rod bolts, new lifters, new oil pump, new pistons and rings, and were gonna re use the double roller timing chain that we put on the 390 since it dont hardly have 3,000 miles on it. We also had to try to find an externally balanced flywheel and that was another 170 bucks off ebay. Were gonna use the edelbrock intake off the 390 and try to get one of our carbs to work we have two edelbrocks and two carters to choose from so if any of those dont work then im gonna try a holly. All said and done the machine work come to 1,500 bucks and total including the motor purchase itself is about 2,100 bucks.
Heres a couple pics of after we got all the stuff yesterday.
truck001.jpg

Thats the intake that I broke the tap off in the thermostat hole.
truck003.jpg

Thats the crank.
truck004.jpg

The guy painted the block yellow and it didnt come off when the machine shop dipped it so I gotta paint over it.

Fordedselfanatic

'77 F250 SC 390 T18
That's gonna be a nice engine when you get finished with it.

I hate trying to work with something that some moron has already "Rebuilt".

It's getting increasingly harder to find these old FE engines that haven't been molested.

What are you going to put that engine in when you finish with it?

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
It's gettin even harder to find a molested engine that hasn't been royally screwed. Leave the machine work to the pros and leave the internal installations to the guys that have a clue. Looks good and I can't wait to see the final product...more pics and keep us updated!

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Yeah I got a couple virgin 390s in the garage and theyre surprisingly easy to find here. Itll be goin in my 72 and it wont be too hopped up the compression is probly gonna end up about 9.5 to 1 so its not a crazy build. I got another 428 crank and numerous blocks and heads to make a screamer out of. We wanted to save that stock 4bbl intake cause its one with the big ports and we have a set of heads to match it so those will go on the next motor we do.
Ill definitly take more pics of it as we go. I believe im up to 6 FEs total right now includin the one in the 72 and the blown up 428.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Well had a change of plans with it and a few things we still need. Were now gonna use the big heads and big cast intake instead of the regular heads and edelbrock intake. Also had to get an oil pump drive and a block heater and new pushrods. We had to fix the transfer case first so now that its done its on to the motor. Still need a rear main cause the guy that we bought it from gave us a gasket kit and he mustve opened it and took the rear main out and re taped it and we need new motor mounts and a transmission mount. We did blow out the passages today before it got too late but weel go runnin around for parts tomorrow and then hopefully get goin.

Thats awesome. :)

All FEs have the same 352 cast number IIRC. :)

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
The one we got might be an original one but the only problem is the block is the same casting number for both a 390 and a 410 so it could be either one.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Well didnt get nothin done on it but we ordered the gasket kit in and a trans mount and some head alignment dowel pins that were missin. Hopefully well get to er next weekend. We never get a full weekend cause dad drives all night and needs to sleep till 1 on saturday so we cant usually get a whole lot done.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Nothin got done last weekend cause dad wanted to spend time with my little sis on sunday and we had to help my granpa plumb a new sink in saturday. Dad had to go to Missoula Montana yesterday instead of meetin halfway with the driver from Missoula in Dubois Idaho. So hes gonna get back about 1:30 tonight or so and then sleep all night and wake up about 8 or so tomorrow mornin and well hopefully get goin on it and at least get it to a short block. I told him I was gettin tired of waitin on him to do it and that id just do it my slef cause he aint actin like he wants to do it. So then he thought about it and decided that he wanted to be there when I did it just to double check stuff.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Got the crank and cam in it today. Dad didnt have enough time to do all the pistons so we just cleaned the garage up a little to get it in there and the table with all the parts in there. So we just left it like that and put the pan on with four bolts to cover it up. Also need to run down to napa to get a special main bearing bolt that got lost in the garage. Its the bolt that holds down the oil pickup tube for the rear sump pan.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Got er most of the way done just need to do get the rocker assemblies, valve covers, pushrods, water pump, t stat and pullies and then its ready to go in. It went together really good with no prbolems other than a rod that was stamped funny and we couldnt read it. When we put it in it was backwards so we flipped the rod around and that fixed it but we had to do another one as well. One thing kinda concernin me is the clearance between the #1 and #5 rods was at .006 and the book said it needed to be between .010 and .025. I dont think itll be a problem though. Oh also got to get a new starter cause the one in the truck just took a big ol dump.

Last edited:

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Got a coat of paint on it yesterday gonna do another here shortly. Heres a couple pics. I put the garbage valve covers on there so the good ones didnt get paint on em.
003-5.jpg

004-4.jpg

005-3.jpg

Heres what my valve covers look like.
006-3.jpg

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
The old greasy pig is out gonna be puttin the 410 in today instead of tomorrow. Also found out that the drivers side motor mount was broken clean off from the rubber.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Can't wait to see how she looks and find out what that thing can do.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts