Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Dealer Installed A/C

I recently purchased a 65 F100 Camper Special. The fella I bought it from gave me an ARA air conditioning system for it. It looks to be complete and I want to re-install this as it was supposedly a dealer installed option on this truck. Can anyone out there provide me with any information on this system, how it installs, pics of it installed? Anything would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Bob

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Bookmarked that link for my 72, thanks Bill.

when i bought the truck it was crashed in the front end, the condensor was toast! no freon in it ay all. but other than that it was all hooked up and installed, i will take a picture and post tomorrow.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
There were two different Ford dealer installed A/C's for these trucks. One had a plastic case and was known as Polar-Aire, the other unit's bezel is the same as was used on 1965/66 Mustangs.

ARA is an aftermarket system, not installed by any Ford dealer...it was added after the truck was sold new.

Mark IV, Sears and Climactic Air also offered A/C for these trucks. All the units bolt to the bottom of the dash.

The reason Ford dealers would not install a non Ford A/C system was...there was no way to warranty it.

If anything failed during the A/C's warranty period, the dealer would have "to eat" the labor, and would lose money on the parts...because they would have to bought from the manufacturer.

If a Ford A/C was installed, and something failed, FoMoCo would pay for the parts and labor, the dealer would make 20% profit on the labor, 25% profit on the parts.

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
thanks for the information. I was under the impression the ARA was a dealer installed accessory. Would you have any more inforamtion on this system?
I could write a book about the Ford dealer installed A/C's, don't know diddly about the ARA system...but it's prolly similar to Ford's hang-on A/C's.

What compressor does it have, a York? The condensers most of these systems used are the same as what Ford used on 1965/66 Mustangs, as is the dryer tank.

btw: The ARA system you got is prolly no good...because all the locations where the hoses connect are prolly uncapped, or not taped over....so don't bother with it.

Once outside air gets into the compressor, dryer or expansion valve...if the system is not evacuated within a few weeks,, you can kiss these puppies good bye.

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I just got a complete Rotunda system for this truck from a 66 donor truck. Can anyone provide more information on this system. Perhaps some pictures of an installed setup?
This is one of two A/C's offered on 1965/66's.

The unit is a hang-on, bolts to the bottom of the dash.

Read what I said above about what happens to the compressor, dryer tank and expansion valve.

Ford Truck Articles