Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

wait.....WTF

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
when my tranny started going out i was cringing at the fact that it was a e4od and it was very expensive to replace. (1800 for a rebuild).

As it was going out the pan started leaking so i decided to replace it today. Got he e40d gasket.

I get it all pulled off and relised the gasket was way to big. And yes it was a e4od gasket. ANd i got to looking at th epan. Its an AOD...

But if i remember right the last year of production for th AOD in fseries pickups was 1992. So i did a bit of research. And theres one just like it called the the AODE-w or 4r70w.

I know from a junkyard a 50k mile aod is like 350 bucks....

So is a 4r70w more?
How can i see the diffrerence between the two.

Mine truck was made in december 95 (its a 96 tho)

i need to know quick i gotta make a run to the parts house...

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
wait, it's an AOD, but electronic?

I'm eager to hear about this. Send BlacksnapOn a private message.

Ryan

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
well it seems in 96 they put in the AODE-W or the the 4r70w (same thing)...

As a last of the run additions. But mine is a earlier 96 not a late.

On the valve body area theres wires running through there. Just apon expection while the pan was off. IM tearing anything off my tranny. I dont know enough about em.

blacksnapon

Staff member
There was 3 trans options in 96 e4od, 4r70w, and c6. The e4od and 4r70w both are electronicly controlled. The 4r70w has a larger pan.

Rusty Shackleford

Certified Ford Tech
Ford changed their transmission accronyms in 95 or 96 for some reason. The E4OD turned into a 4R100, the AOD turned into the 4R70W, the A4LD turned into the 4R44E/4R55E... and then there were the transaxles, but they don't matter here...
Oh, I don't think the 4R70W was not bigger than the E4OD... me tinks it's d'udder way round...

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I know a 4r70w is 700 from the junkyard with about 70000 miles and about 800 to rebuild to stock!

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
1Ftex15n2TKA41458

Is my vin.

ive got some ideas but im not going to say anything til iim for sure.

BTw the ******* pan still leaks. I dont think its the pan. But its pretty damn good at marking it territory....Like a harley i guess

blacksnapon

Staff member
1Ftex15n2TKA41458

Is my vin.

ive got some ideas but im not going to say anything til iim for sure.

BTw the ******* pan still leaks. I dont think its the pan. But its pretty damn good at marking it territory....Like a harley i guess
It's outside the 10 year limit for oasis---but you do have the speed control recall pending!

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
if it burnt to the ground id be happy.

It was estimated when insured to be worth 8grand. Kbb and at the current condition worth 1200

I owe 4400 so if it burned to the ground id be happy....

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
i got a story for yall.

I left my house this morning with my fiance. My truck was driving perfectly. Not falling out of gear.. and so on.

Im flying along and then. Bamm. ABout half way up a 1/4 mile long hill way over 45* slope... and i loose 3 gear, then 4th. And then 1st. I roll backwards back to the bottom. And relise all i got is second.

So i drive to the top of the hill and then back down. Keeping it in gear by riding the brakes and keeping the revs high. I get 2 miles from my house. and i loose 2nd. All i had was reverse. So i drove in reverse for about a mile when it got knocked out of gear then back in with a hard kit and it cause me to slide to the ditch where i highcenter on the pumpkin. And tore up my brand new mudders. It didnt pop em but gouge them badly. right on the lugs of the tire.

So i and my fiance walked a mile back to my house. with her yapping its hot. Im tire blah blah the whole way.

So i went and got my dads truck (1997 f150 4.6l) and yanked it out then parked it at my aunts because i dont have enough power to drag it up another hill.

so at about 7-8pm me and my boss. are going to take his truck and trailer down to it and tow it the last mile.

hes got a 1993 f150 with a E40od, a 347 stroker and 4wd...

SO yea...i was hoping somebody was oging to hit it while i was walkijng. but im not that lucky....

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I had a problem where my transmission would just slip out of gear. I don't know if I'll be any help here, or if I am it sounds like it's too late.

I have an E40D in a 94, and I kept losing the gear on the highway. It was completely random when I'd lose what gears and when. I eventually took the wire harness out of the nuetral safety switch, cleaned up the connection, squirted in a little electrical connection grease, plugged it back in, and problem solved.

Sorry to hear about your *%#(ing day. That blows man. I feel for ya.

Ryan

ponyracer

Certified Ford Tech
The 4R70W is the "new version of the AODE which replaced the AOD which replaced the C-4 I believe. The E4OD replaced the C-6(which was still available until 96 in the F series) and became the 4R100 which is now a something else in the 06- Super Duties. The C series transmissions were three speeds and they added an over drive fro the next version. The Next generation added electronics except the E4OD already was electronic.

The 4R70W is a "4" speed with "R"everse, 700 lbft of torque capable and wide ratio gearing.

The E4OD is an "E"lectronic, "4" speed with "O"ver "D"rive that changed to the 4R100 which made it a "4" speed with "R" and 1000 lbft of torque capable.

A AOD/AODE/4R70W has a square flat pan with the corners near the driveshaft cut slanted.

The E4OD/4R100/? is a rectangular irregular pan with a corner cut square out of it near the drive shaft.

The 4R70W trans is concidered a very light duty trans as it is used in the Thunderbird, Mustangs, Crown Vics and others. It can be built up but I dont really concider this a truck capable trans.

The E4OD/4R100/? is suseptable (sp) to having the MLP/TR sensor (nuetral safety switch) get invaded with moisture causing many troubles that may or may not set a code as stated prior.

Sorry A_G your trans blew. I wish you were in OR cuz then I'd help you fix it. Let me know if you need any long distance advice as if I dont know it I know several that do.

Last edited:

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
im starting to think my truck is th elighter half ton. Because my boss has a half ton. But its got the e40d (its a 92 f150 302) and hes got a sway bar in the rear.

ponyracer

Certified Ford Tech
nawh your just light in the loafers not your truck! LMAO

anyway the truck was just ordered that way. the 302/E4OD was a rare package as most E4OD's were ordered with the 5.8 and larger engines. you can also find it behind the 4.9 but of course it had loads of torque.

His goes all the way from the loafers to the attic...

ponyracer

Certified Ford Tech
Sorry A_G, but BBBWWWWWAAAAAHHHHHHHAAHAHAHAAA:rofl:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts