Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Question about Service departments

So Friday I scheduled my truck, 2006 F350 psd 4x4, to have a pinion seal put in at the dealership. I told them it was the pinion seal on the rear axle leaking. I knew it was a pinion seal leaking and could fix it but the truck is under warranty so I figured just let the dealer do it. So this morning I take my truck in and they take the keys and pull it into the shop. After twenty minutes they come back and tell me the pinion seal is leaking. NO DUH. Then they tell me they don’t have a pinion seal and I need to bring my truck back. So I now have to take my truck back Thursday. This kind of aggravates me because the dealership is 25 miles away.

My question is: Is it policy not to order parts until the truck is seen by a tech? AND isn’t a pinion seal for my truck a pretty easy part to keep in stock?

I don’t want to offend anyone just looking for answers from the ford dealer guys in here.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
So Friday I scheduled my truck, 2006 F350 psd 4x4, to have a pinion seal put in at the dealership. I told them it was the pinion seal on the rear axle leaking. I knew it was a pinion seal leaking and could fix it but the truck is under warranty so I figured just let the dealer do it. So this morning I take my truck in and they take the keys and pull it into the shop. After twenty minutes they come back and tell me the pinion seal is leaking. NO DUH. Then they tell me they don’t have a pinion seal and I need to bring my truck back. So I now have to take my truck back Thursday. This kind of aggravates me because the dealership is 25 miles away.

My question is: Is it policy not to order parts until the truck is seen by a tech? AND isn’t a pinion seal for my truck a pretty easy part to keep in stock?

I don’t want to offend anyone just looking for answers from the ford dealer guys in here.

If the truck is under warrenty there is a procedure that has to be followed or they risk Ford not paying. When it's under warrenty you can't write on the repair order customer says change leaking pinion seal, it fist has to be diag'ed and then replaced even if it's obvious as hell. As far as stocking the seal thats up to the dealer on how much overhead they want hanging around, my dealer tends not to stock alot of stuff they rather order it or go pick it up someplace, the owner doesn't want that kind of money hanging around.

Fellro

Staff member
Ordering parts before a job is seen is a problem for a few reasons, 1) The customer may not show up (happens more than you would believe) 2)Have to be sure it is actually the problem, there are a lot of people out there that think they know what the problem is, and when it gets there, it isn't the problem at all 3) need to be sure to get the right part, and sometimes that takes having the vehicle there to get the info from it.

blacksnapon

Staff member
In addition to what dave and fellro said, a leaking pinion seal can also be an indicator of a deeper issue. An improperly installed yoke (too much torque) and a crush sleeve can be crushed too much just causing the new seal to fail shortly.

Thank you for the replies. I see there is a procedure to follow for warrenty work. I also didn't even think about not showing up for the work to be done. I just figured as big of a dealer it is, that keeping the seal in stock wouldn't be a big deal. They only thing I could come up with is mabye they used the last one they had. They are the bigest commerical truck, heavy duty truck dealer in the area. That is why I took my truck to them.

Guess we will see thursday if there is any deeper issues with the rearend of the truck

Thank you again for your responces. Knew you techs could make me fell better about having to go back to the dealer again.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts