Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Batteries?

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Wasn't sure if this belonged in the 7.3 diesel forum, or here.. :suspicious:

Anyway, for a while now when we start the truck (2002 F-350 diesel, for those that don't know) we have been having to charge the batterys. The truck sits for long periods of time, approximately 1-6 months at a time.

Today, as usual when we tried to start it, the batterys where dead, stuck battery charger on them and got one up to 64% and the other to 59% (the have been going to 75%+) heated the motor twice, turned the key and *click**click**click**click**click*...battery's are dead :headbang:

FINALLY got them charged back up and they did alright the rest of the day. I'm gonna try it again tomorrow to see if their still holding charge. OK, rant over.. now on to my question (sorry for long post... it's late and I'm bored smilietease)

We called around and looked online for prices on batterys, and they seemed to run from $95ish (Napa) to $117 (Ford dealer) a peice... that would equal about $200+ :headbang:

Does this price range seem right? and any battery prefrences ya'll have?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Price sounds about right for the large batteries that the 7.3 requires. My battery is roughly the same size (if not exactly the same) and I paid $80 for a new one a few weeks ago. Now mine was cheaper because I bought it at Costco Wholesale-- Kirkland (Costco's brand) batteries were all my dad ever used and he was one of the smartest guys I knew so I still use them and have good luck with them :) That being said-- Costco is cheaper than everyone else with pretty much everything they sell, so $90-100 sounds very fair to me.

My dad's 04 Jeep GC was doing that last week, and it has gone through two piece of **** Mopar batteries in the last 5 years, finally he spent $140 on an Interstate...

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
ooohhh interstate batteries. i love them they practically never die. but yeah 90-100 is bout right. my battery for my old camry was 100. the F100 was 120. and my Flareside was when the PO bought it 150. so yeah your gettin off pretty cheap.

get a Motorcraft battery(s).. or DieHard...

if you go motor craft you'll need two 850 CCA ( i believe its part number BXT-65-850)

emtzach

i get paid to do this
yup price is average little side not at the fd i got sent out to the cat dealership cuz the 95 peirce wouldnt start and spent 850 for 6 of em ouch makes the 200 dollars not so bad eahh

If you're willing to pay $140 for a regular battery, throw in an extra $40-50 and get a dry cell...

Mount em anywhere you want, upside down, on its side, etc doesn't matter they won't leak. Temp resistant, vibration resistant, maintenance free, longer lifetime... what else? lol The Optima Redtops are pretty common on the trails.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts