Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

302\351 top end swapablilty.

I just picked up a set of fresh 351 heads and a 4bbl intake( for free I might add :D ) And I can't remember if I can swap them on my 302 block or not.

Thanks Gabe

The 351W heads have bolt holes that are 1/2" while the 302 heads use bolt holes that are 7/16". All you need to do to run these heads is use stepped bolts. :)

Ahhh, sweet thanks for the infoYelloThumbUp

Now for question #2, My 302 heads are E7te's while the 351 heads are D8 somethings. Am I better off sticking with the E7s or deckin the 351's rould .15"'s and running them?

The motors gonna be a idle to 6500 cam in it with a 600cfm 4bbl on my dual plane racing aluminum intake. Prolly some shorty headers to. Oh and its an auto.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I suggest ditching the shorties....
I have personal expierence with them, stock, and long tubes, and the long tubes is where its at...

Shorties are ok, dont get me wrong, but with the list you got goin do the long tubes you will be happier...

Long Tubes can yield an increase in low-mid range torque when compared to shorty headers.

I would stick with the E7 head. They flow better than the D8's and have a smaller chamber if you want a higher compression ratio. It's just not worth the time to go over to D8's.

Run the E7's way better head and if the intake is a 351W it wont fit... too wide. Long tube, short tube??? anything is better than the stock manifolds.

Thanks for the advise guys! Thats what I was figuring on the exhaust, and I have both a stock 351 4bbl intake and a racing aluminum 4bbl 289\302 intake.

Prolly gonna need to run some stiffer valve springs. as well as some guide plates?

Any thoughts on a specific cam are welcome as well. I want to be able to tell its got a cam in it when its sittin there idiling. My 68 Hi-po 390 has a mild towing cam in it, but you really couldn't hear it at all. I'm thinking somewhere in the 480'- 500 range?

You can get away with full roller pedistel mount rockers with the E7's way cheaper then having the rocker mount bosses machined, taped, guide plates, hardened push rods, etc. Just bolt them down and run them, no need for hardened push rods ether with a cam just big enough for the idle you want. Just get the springs install at the recommended height and use the recommended springs for the cam you choose. Look around on You tubes for different cams a lot of people post vids for there engines running. I have one of a 270s Comp Cams idling, that might be a bit to big without gears, converter, etc.

I would look for a cam in the [email protected] or there about...

Comp cams 35-234-3....

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts