Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

ranger tranny problems

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
looking at a 96 Ranger with a 4.0 V6 and an auto tranny. the owner said it jerks from 1st to 2nd. then slips to 3rd and 4th. not sure what this might be. any help is appreciated because wanna get my gf a good lil ranger for first car/truck not one with problems.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
How many miles on the tranny? Could be as simple as bad fluid but could be as bad as needing a whole rebuild. There's really no telling. If you wanna check out the truck then I'd pull the dipstick for the fluid and look at the color, then smell it to see if it's burnt.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
It should have a A4LD in it not the most reliable transmissions but not as bad as many will tell you they are.
Like Chris said check the fluids. It does sound like how they act when they are dying.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
OH CRAP THAT IS RIGHT!! idk ill just be checking it out in a couple of days. i can get the tranny redone right down the road at transmission masters here in la vergne. thats the only place i would trust my transmissions too.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
It should have a A4LD in it not the most reliable transmissions but not as bad as many will tell you they are.
Like Chris said check the fluids. It does sound like how they act when they are dying.

If the A4LD is also in the 2.5 equipped Rangers,then I hate the A4LD.

Mine locked up in my truck and made me lose control.Right before I lost control it jerked really hard.Next thing I know i'm looking at a tree.I knew I shoulda had that tranny rebuilt.:(

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts