Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Brake change

Storm

Turns out the Z36 pads from Powerstop have been fixed.. I discovered the problems when I got mine, they had to turn around and redo their entire inventory.. My question is this.. What should I do special when I install them? For now I been running their Z26 Ceramics until the 36 pads were finished.. I have their Cryo Rotors.. Only put bout 3k miles so I imagine the rotor is still ok enough that I can break it in with the 36 pads.. As far as cleaning off the old Disc Brake Quiet... Anything I should do other then just spray down everything with a can of brake cleaner to clean it up?

blacksnapon

Staff member
The only thing I advise my customers about, whenever pads and rotors start new together, they wear a "pattern" together (ridges, grooves, etc.) It may be small, but a pattern none the less. If you dont resurface the rotors when replacing the pads, that "pattern's" high spots will be the only thing touching the new pads, and braking efficiency is reduced until the "pattern" wears into the pads.

Storm

So you think I should tell powerstop that they need to replace my front rotors as well.. I still have Z36 pads on the back.. The problem was this, the front pads didnt have the holes for those springs that pull the pads off the rotor.. So whenever I was driving it was squealing like no tomorrow.. Since all their F250 pads were like that they sent me Z26 Ceramics until they got them fixed with new pads.. Their Z36 stock just came in with the correct design.. It was so bad I had to get them to actually check their blueprints versus ford's factory blueprints on the pads and thats when the Engineering dept told me, yep, we screwed up..

So they should be held accountable for my rotors now being patterned for those ceramics under good faith they should change them right?

blacksnapon

Staff member
in my opinion, that would be a definate concern. The manufacturer will tell you otherwise, make them explain why.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
Just curious, are you towing something that the OEM pads and rotors couldn't handle?

This is a great example of some of the aftermarket parts, that they don't do any testing on!!!

Same goes with aftermarket electrical components, there is absolutely no reliability testing done!!!

Last edited:

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Just curious, are you towing something that the OEM pads and rotors couldn't handle?
Stormy there chases naders'. That'd be Tornados for ya' city folk. :) I'd want to be able to stop quick in that case and turn around to haul butt the reverse direction when needed.

I want better brakes cause my trucks so fast, I want to be able to stop fast too. ROFLMAO Stormy, well, he's just stock! :nana:

Storm

The Nitro Blast Cyro Froze rotors and Z36 pads I had from Powerstop would stop like a Chevy Corvette doing 160mph! They are 80 times better then my stock rotors and pads.. No I don't tow anything, but like Todd said.. I'm a Stormchaser and I happen to run my brakes hard when I'm cutting through roads, fields, houses, schools etc..

If you seriously want your truck to stop, then Powerstop is the way to go.. I had no problems with the brakes, just the noise was unbearable due to them not having the holes for the tension springs..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts