Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What does the "RV" in Dunlop RV Radial Rover mean?

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Okay so last year I got a set of 31 x 10.50 Dunlop RV Radial Rovers from a friend.I paid 50 bucks for a set of four.Pretty cheap I know.He just wanted them gone.I needed the tries for my new wheels that I had just gotten,so it worked out perfect.Anyways,I have always wondered what the RV stood for.Can anyone tell me?

Here's a pic for reference.

modelsandemblems1192.jpg

I'm very happy with the tires.They're definitely not new,but they still have quite a bit of life left.I think I got a good deal for what they are.Here's a pic of them on my truck.

modelsandemblems980.jpg

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Hey Shaun

I see your feets!

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Good deal.

If I had to guess, I'd say "recreational vehicle".

You would think so,but they're truck tires.I don't think RV could stand for anything else besides recreational vehicle.lol.

nobodyspecial said:
Hey Shaun

I see your feets!

Lol.You'd be amazed at the amount of people on youtube that ask me to make vids of me pumping the pedal and flooding my truck in my boots.Kinda creeps me out.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Hey, what ever gets their motors revving.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
You would think so,but they're truck tires.I don't think RV could stand for anything else besides recreational vehicle.lol.

It used to be that any vehicle, truck, jeep etc, that was used off road was considered a recreational vehicle.

Remember the old RVT's? The tread pattern kinda resembled denman ground hawgs.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Alot of tires kept the name RV. I guess it just sorta stuck. There is a date code printed on the sidewalls of tires, but I forget how to read it. Maybe somebody else here remembers.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I just noticed you got all 4 for 50 bucks!

You suck!!!

j/k. Great deal man.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
It's a four-place code - for example "3406" means the 34th week of the year 2006

Lots of good tire stuff in this link:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

That site was very helpful.Although it was helpful,I don't like the info it gave me.The code on my tires was 0800,so my tires are 9 years old.So,it looks like i'm gonna have to put 4 new ones on there.Oh well.A set of 4 9-year old tires that hold air are better than the god knows how old flat tires that were on there.Every single last tire that was on the truck was cupping.Two of them wouldn't hold air.

I also just looked at their prices for new Radial Rovers,and it's 114 each.That's gonna be a pain to pay for.I guess I could go back down to 235's,but then it won't look as good.I love the 31's,cause they fill in the open space in the wheel well.Plus,my truck is 4x2,but it has the look of 4x4.

The funny thing is,according to the 1980 Ford Pickup Brochure,my truck from factory had 205/75/R15's.Never again will it have that small a tire on it.Even my mom's Cavalier has 195's.lol.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I just noticed you got all 4 for 50 bucks!

You suck!!!

j/k. Great deal man.

smilieneenar :p

It was a great deal,until I realized how old they are.lol.But it's still a good deal.There isn't any sign of wear on the tires.They were kept inside my buddy's garage,so I think that's what saved them.

And to make you hate me more,I got the rims for 40 bucks.10 bucks per rim.Nothing wrong with them.I got them from the junkyard off a 92-96,but they cleaned up really nicely.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
9 years in the Florida sun would have fried them.

Oh I bet.My truck sat for 3 years before I got it,so I think that's why the old tires were so bad.

And oh,my 31's only sat in the shed for a couple months.They were originally on my buddy's jeep until he upgraded to a set of mud dawgs.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts