Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

A good parts man is worth his weight in gold

bobf100

Hey Bill (BKW) - I just want to say thank you and how much I appreciate you being a part of this web site. Your knowlege is priceless.

I went by my local parts store this evening to buy front grease seals for my bowtie project truck. I explained to the man that I was rebuilding the front end. My existing front wheel bearings were good except I wanted to put new grease seals in. He looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language but I was ready for him as I had brought my shop manual with me to show him a picture of what I wanted. Of course he went to his computer but was unable to find it so I left empty handed. I guess I'll order them from the specialty catelog but pay out the nose for the pieces and shipping.

Got to thinking about that and came to the conclusion that old time parts guys -- who know what they are talking about are hard to find so it's a real pleasure to have you as a member of this site. Of course that is not to downplay any other member of this site as I appreciate all but dealing with the parts man this evening got me to thinking specifically about Bill. Thank you Sir. :bow:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
+1. Well said! We're glad that Bill takes the time to surf the boards. He's a real asset to the site.

Ryan

I toally agree. I seriously doubt there is anyone one person who knows the old fords as well as he does. I asked a lot of specific questions the other night and he was able to answer all of them. That was not even part numbers.

It is good to have his knowledge and help around.

I try not to argue with him. I did, however, ask about the second locks on the other site. That never did make sense to me. :redface:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I try not to argue with him. I did, however, ask about the second locks on the other site. That never did make sense to me. :redface:

'Ol Henry Ford insisted on door lock cylinders on the right side only. His reasoning was that it was dangerous to stand out in the street locking/unlocking doors. When Henry died in 1947, the old ways went fast. 1949 saw lock cylinders in both front passenger car doors. If you ordered a Custom Cab in 1953/56 lock cylinders came in both doors. By 1957 all the Ford vehicles had them.

Sorry, I can't help with Chevy parts, but I would think the local NAPA store would have bowtie grease seals. Wouldn't 1948/58 be the same?

I also have Packard & Studebaker parts catalogs, in case anyone needs part numbers or has questions.

I also can date your Winchester & Colt firearms, and answer related questions.

WinM1895/BKW/NumberDummy thanks y'all for the kind words.

Last edited:
'Ol Henry Ford insisted on door lock cylinders on the right side only. His reasoning was that it was dangerous to stand out in the street locking/unlocking doors. When Henry died in 1947, the old ways went fast. 1949 saw lock cylinders in both front passenger car doors. If you ordered a Custom Cab in 1953/56 lock cylinders came in both doors. By 1957 all the Ford vehicles had them.

I knew that after you explained it.

Everyone said it was a safety issue with Henry, then along came the cutom cabs with them in both doors. The cutom cabs simply cost more...so the better paying customers were expendable. Thats what it looked like until explained. 'hah'

:)

I doubt too many people locked them back then and we don't generally park along the road on main street now.

Locking mine by crawling over is a pain with stuff in the cab. Someday, I may add a drivers side lock even thought its not quite correct.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts