Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Techincal Write-ups

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
In FTF's never ending quest to be the best, most comprehensive Ford Truck site on the web we are rolling out a new forum.

We now have a Forum devoted to Techincal Write-ups.
http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=120

There was a lot of thought and discussion put into where and how to implement this. Do we do it as a sub forum of each forum, a seperate page, convert to word documents or just have a single forum to deposit them all into.

Well for the time being we opted to have a completly seperate forum for them. It may change as usage and demand changes but for now this is how it is set up. The forum is moderated, meaning all posts in that forum must be approved. For the time being I think it is me that does that but again that is subject to change.

To make sure this section is as useful to non members as it is to current members in their searches please try and be as specific as possible when deciding to title your thread.

For example:
Generic
"Brake Job"
Specific
"Installing new calipers, rotors and pads"

Pictures are always appreciated for those of us that are visual learners but they are not required.

Enjoy

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sweet...looks good so far...I mean that one thread in there so far is AMAZING...haha. So I have a question, if we have something technical that we'll be doing, we just ask you if it's worthy????? Or you'll just pick out and put it there????? Are you considering any threads that are currently posted?

Last question, which I think is a biggie. For the newbies or guests, say they are looking for a timing chain replacement for a 351M/400/etc, wouldn't instinct tell them to look in the gen 6 forum? Or is FTF just going to rely on the search function for this?

But as always, A+ work guys.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
You have good points Ben. Shame on you for pointing out the flaws in my posts...Lemme see now how do I delete Rep????

Just kiddin.
1) yes we are considering threads that are already posted so IF you know of 1 or 2 or whatever send me a link to them and I can get them moved over.
2)If you are doing something on your vehicle and think someone else might could use some good instruction on how to do it then that is good enough for us. (Fixing A/C, Changing rotors, installing a hitch, you get the idea)
3) yes we thought about posting them in the gen where they are most applicable so for the time being if you want to post it in that gen form and send me a PM we can also post it in the tech write-up section if you think it is important to also have in that gen forum. We are hoping people will either see the tech write up forum or use the search feature (which is why the title is so important)

Any more questions wisenheimer?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
There's a couple writeups in the gen 8-9 section, they're stickies. I believe there are a couple others that arent stickies :rolleyes:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
HAHA...didn't mean to burst your bubble Aaron. I just figured if there was a tech write up, it might be best to keep it in the specific forum...instead of lumping a gen 9 efan conversion in with gen 5 P/S conversion and lumping that in with a SAS swap. Would it be better to do a tech sub section for each forum as a specific generation starts posting a bunch of write ups?

I'm not trying to force my opinions here...it just didn't make sense to me lumping ALL write ups together in a place a newbie/guest/or even seasoned FTF vet may never look.

But as I said before, I love the idea, and I know it all takes up space...so I'm sure you guys will do what's best for the site.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I think posting the tech write up's in there respective forum's for discussion would be a good idea...

But grouping them all together for easy finding and reading with out the general chit chat that could be helpful.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Trust me when we say we batted it around a good bit in trying to decide where to post them.

The bottom line is that for now we did not feel we wanted to start adding an additional sub-forum for each forum we already have, effectively doubling the board size. I think we sit at about 80 forums as it is.

I'm not saying that as time goes on we won't be forced to go to that method just based on sheer volume and diversity but for now this is the solution we agreed upon.

Also at issue is people asking for threads to be stickied and to be honest when you start having 4, 5, 6 stickies at the top of each forum it starts to look cluttered.

So for now there is not an issue if you put a thread in say Gen 6 and also ask for it to be put in the write up forum. at least in the write up forum threads will not fall away to page 2 as quickly as they might in a regular forum.

Thanks again for all your guys input.

if we have something technical that we'll be doing, we just ask you if it's worthy?????
my opinion is that pretty much any auto-related job can be a technical write-up. it just requires some good detail, perhaps some pictures, and some ok writing/organization.

also understand why it's 1 forum now, but as stated, as volume grows it would be nice to move them over. if i remember how other places have done it, you can do it without the sub-forums. just put 1 sticky at the top that says "technical write-ups" and just have 1 post in there that is constantly updated with links to other articles

anywho, looks good either way

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I concur..
But in all honesty I'm happy as punch to see the forum grown :D
If every thing works out I will do a write up on a 302 to 460 swap :D among other things. It may be a simple swap but some times the most over looked things are the simplest things ;)
Thanks guys!
by the way, can some body Rep Arron for me?

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
thats excellent!!! i did a write up or two on installing cab lights on a gen 8, and installing a custom front trailer hitch on a gen 8

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
i will do on a i6 to a v8 swap when im done

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
ive got a transmission removal and instal as well as a clutch, and flywheel sintall write up coming this weekend when i do it on my truck, plus im going to be doing a rear spring and axle install write up when i do that in 2 weeks

Why not have a tech folder stickie at the top of each forum and link the corresponding threads?

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
There was a lot of thought and discussion put into where and how to implement this. Do we do it as a sub forum of each forum, a seperate page, convert to word documents or just have a single forum to deposit them all into.

Well for the time being we opted to have a completly seperate forum for them. It may change as usage and demand changes but for now this is how it is set up. The forum is moderated, meaning all posts in that forum must be approved. For the time being I think it is me that does that but again that is subject to change.

3) yes we thought about posting them in the gen where they are most applicable so for the time being if you want to post it in that gen form and send me a PM we can also post it in the tech write-up section if you think it is important to also have in that gen forum. We are hoping people will either see the tech write up forum or use the search feature (which is why the title is so important)

The bottom line is that for now we did not feel we wanted to start adding an additional sub-forum for each forum we already have, effectively doubling the board size. I think we sit at about 80 forums as it is.

I'm not saying that as time goes on we won't be forced to go to that method just based on sheer volume and diversity but for now this is the solution we agreed upon.

Also at issue is people asking for threads to be stickied and to be honest when you start having 4, 5, 6 stickies at the top of each forum it starts to look cluttered.

Hope that answers the "Why not do it in each forum" question.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Aaron I think Steve was suggesting to have a sticky at the top of each forum (1 thread) and in side the thread you'd have links to all the tech articles. That seems like it would be FEWER threads overall.

Just a thought :)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Aaron I think Steve was suggesting to have a sticky at the top of each forum (1 thread) and in side the thread you'd have links to all the tech articles. That seems like it would be FEWER threads overall.

Just a thought :)

That's kinda the idea I was trying to get across too in earlier posts and in a couple PM's.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts