Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

stock 56 questions

Hi all,

Bill will probably know most of these (if not all).

I have been looking at "Earl's world" on Fire Truck Equipment and wanted to ask a few things.

It appears that the running boards were body color...correct?

The two tone paints it shows are just the cab top and back (around the window to the body line) being white...correct?

The outside of the drip rail appears to be body color...correct?

Did the rear fenders have welting between them and the bed?

Did the front ones have it between them and the cab?

Were the "FORD" and the verticle bars on the tailgate painted a different color? (the stock gate I just got is body color-does not apprear to be re-painted)

Bill has already said my front turn signals are wrong. Who knows what else has been changed over the years. LOL

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Hi all,

Bill will probably know most of these (if not all).

I have been looking at "Earl's world" on Fire Truck Equipment and wanted to ask a few things.

It appears that the running boards were body color...correct?YES

The two tone paints it shows are just the cab top and back (around the window to the body line) being white...correct? YES

The outside of the drip rail appears to be body color...correct? YES

Did the rear fenders have welting between them and the bed?NO

Did the front ones have it between them and the cab?YES/NO I've seen it both ways.

Were the "FORD" and the verticle bars on the tailgate painted a different color? (the stock gate I just got is body color-does not apprear to be re-painted)Tailgate painted in one solid color

Bill has already said my front turn signals are wrong. Who knows what else has been changed over the years. LOL
Your turn signals have the correct lenses, the bezels should be chrome, not painted white.

Thank you sir. You answered everything all at once.

I knew the lenses were correct. I have new ones to put in. Someday...I will buy the correct housings.

Oh...what about the tail light housings? Chrome? Painted? What were the wires covered with?

I don't have a picture of mine, but the lenses don't appear to be the stock type. They have a ford script in chrome a the top and blue dots.

Do you have information about the bed wood and the strips as well?

I see different posts saying different things there. Some say it was all painted body color. Some say the metal strips were just oiled.

I will probably leave the plywood and just stain/seal it. I was thinking of powdercoating the strips later. I will haul junk all the time, so there I can't see a need of using a expensive woods and fancy chrome strips. This is a truck!YelloThumbUp

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Thank you sir. You answered everything all at once.

I knew the lenses were correct. I have new ones to put in. Someday...I will buy the correct housings.

Oh...what about the tail light housings? Chrome? Painted? What were the wires covered with? Housing painted black, wires had a black plastic covering over them.

I don't have a picture of mine, but the lenses don't appear to be the stock type. They have a ford script in chrome a the top and blue dots.I've seen those, they appeared in the mid 1970's. they look nice but are not original. Original = solid red plastic shield type lens, with the letters F O R D moulded into the lens at top. These lenses were replaced in 1961 with plain lenses = C1TZ-13450-C. The lenses you now have are a variation of these lenses with blue dots added, and a repro of the 1941 Ford passenger car hood script added where the original moulded and raised letters were.

Do you have information about the bed wood and the strips as well? Beds/strips were painted body color as original. Ford used birch, or ash originally (I think). Ford not only owned the stands of timber (in Iron Mountain, MI), but the sawmills and the ships to transport the wood.

I see different posts saying different things there. Some say it was all painted body color. Some say the metal strips were just oiled. All body color originally.

I will probably leave the plywood and just stain/seal it. I was thinking of powdercoating the strips later. I will haul junk all the time, so there I can't see a need of using a expensive woods and fancy chrome strips. This is a truck!YelloThumbUp
The beds look nice with varnished oak and metal strips. Remember, trucks were work horses back then. Ppl didn't dress them up like they do with todays trucks.

The beds look nice with varnished oak and metal strips. Remember, trucks were work horses back then. Ppl didn't dress them up like they do with todays trucks.

No kidding.....

The first job for mine (as soon as I bleed the brakes) is hauling off a ton of old junk ranger parts.

I can't use the clutch for a few days anyway...stupid nail! :headbang:

I have 2 ranger doors, 2 Bronco II doors, a pile of assorted driveshafts, several cross members, a bent bumper, a bowed tailgate, a junk A4LD transmission...I am not sure what else is piled out there. :redface:

Thank you for the correct information. I am sick of the arguing about what was stock and not. It is much nicer to just ask someone who knows this stuff. YelloThumbUp

My boss at the college has a nice wood shop behind his home (builds gorgeous furniture). At some point down the road I may check with him about planing and rabbiting some lumber for me.

Did the rear fenders have welting between them and the bed?NO

Did the front ones have it between them and the cab?YES/NO I've seen it both ways.

That is quite odd. Mine does not have it on the rear ones, but does on the front. Its not the original welting. It is rubber (I think).

That will save some money, if I don't have to buy more. :)

I have seen it between the gravel pan and the front fenders on a few trucks, but it looks really bad to me being there.

Do you happen to know what color the wheels were supposed to be? Looking at Earl's world again...they appear to be a cream color, white, and black in the different brochures he has on there.

Someday....mine need to be blasted and painted or powdercoated. They are pretty yucky under that rattle can paint.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Do you happen to know what color the wheels were supposed to be? Looking at Earl's world again...they appear to be a cream color, white, and black in the different brochures he has on there.

Someday....mine need to be blasted and painted or powdercoated. They are pretty yucky under that rattle can paint.
Sales brochures are a poor source for what is original, as the "photos" (more often than not air brushed illustrations) are gussied up to make even the plainest of Janes look nice. Factory photos are a better source. Color postcards of dealers lots are another good source. The cards were sent to customers as servive reminders or sales aids.

Replacement wheels purchased over the parts counter from this time frame were black. Fron the early 1970's thru today, the steel wheels are light gray.

In the mid 1950's, Ford offered red painted wheels as an option on cars and trucks. So red could be considered correct regardless of the exterior color.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts