Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Lets try this one

blacksnapon

Staff member
Technician a says the violent shaking in the steering wheel when braking, could be caused by improper torque on the lug nuts. Technician b says loose wheel bearings could be the cause. Who is right? A only--B only-- Both A and B--Neither. Remember, this is the most likely answer only.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Damn if warped rotors was an option that would be my choice cuz we got it something bad in the new Dodge Charges we got on the force. Upgraded brakes my ass...

I say B. If the lugnuts were under torqued meaning a loose wheel maybe but over torqued? it does not seem likely...

Just 1 mans opinion

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Lug nuts. If It was a bearing, I think what would happen is the tire would 'toe out' and just make a lot of road noise, and wouldn't give you any problems unless it was starting from a dead stop or turning.

Ryan

Fellro

Staff member
Well, the improper torque doesn't necessarily mean over torqued, just not the right torque, as in too loose, too tight, and not even. It is claimed that not torqueing the lugs can lead to rotor warpage, so that would definitely be in play. Having dealt with failed bearings, when the brake is applied, unless they are failed so bad the wheel may be taking a trip, they usually steady up when applying the brakes, since the caliper is holding it upright. Longer pedal travel will also come into play, as the wobbling allows the rotor to push the caliper piston in further... I guess I have never pushed one that far to find out, but it is conceivable that it could shake around alot too, depending on the road surface...
Since the shaking is in the steering wheel, it can't be warped rotors, since that is felt in the brake pedal, not the steering wheel. so if either tech is going to be right, it would be wheel bearing, tech B. It also would change the alignment if bad enough, because the wheel could move around independant of the steering controls, changing toe and camber at the same time.Then add the sudden change by the brake caliper, and now it wants to move even more, so I go tech B.

Technician T says sloppy ball joints and worn tires.
As for torquing the lug nuts, not if it's a hub-piloted wheel, as most of ford's are now. Now, loose bearing or a failed one can and will cause the shaking, as the radial tires "walk" as they go down the road, and in braking, there are extra forces being applied that would not show simply rolling down the street...
Given the choices I'm going TECH B.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
I vote "Neither" a or b.

Sounds like worn tie rod ends, bushings, etc...

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
I vote "neither", most likely cause is warped rotors.....

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I vote "neither", most likely cause is warped rotors.....
I'm with Bob on this one..warped rotors are very common on Ford trucks. 4 sets of new rotors on my 2004 F150 Lariat within 17,000 miles.:wtf: ..and no I don't drive like a maniac...more like Uncle Fudd. The local dealers service department sez "brake judder" is common. So far, all the rotors have been replaced by the same part number. Thanks to someone elsewhere, I was told there are different rotors now available...but it's too late, the truck is gone...it's someone else's problem now.

I had to replace the rotors on one of our trucks 2 times... Once bitten, twice shy with me. We upped the ante and went with stainless steel and they have been golden.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts