Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Air Conditioner Inquiry

03Explorer

Missouri Chapter member
Does anyone else notice that the air conditioner on their Ford Explorer does not seem to blow cold enough or at full power? My car has been in twice to have the air conditioner and heater checked. When I first bought the car the sales man told me he thought the air was broke and he sent it into service to get a key made and to get the air checked and they said there was nothing wrong with it. I took it back a few months later because the hubby was saying that the heat didn't seem to blow correctly. They tested the heater and air and say that they compared it to other '03's on the lot and everything is blowing correctly. Today at lunch I ran a few errands and I was gone for an hour and 10 minutes and my car never cooled down. It just didn't seem to be blowing at full speed. I had it on the highest setting and on MAX/AC. I know it is hot today but it just never seemed to get to cool. Could it just need some freon? Could something be blocking the fan or do I just have more area to cover and I am just not use to how it works yet? Does anyone else seem to notice this problem with theirs?

Thanks for the help guys.

TSB #16309 -- HIGH SIDE PRESSURE FLUCTUATIONS ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A FIXED SCROLL A/C COMPRESSOR. *TT (NHTSA ID #10013078, OCTOBER 01 2002)
This is the closest thing I see that could indicate a problem, but if it doesn't seem to be BLOWING right, that either sounds like a "blend door" problem or blower motor trouble.
The mechanics who checked it out the first time may not have been testing it while it was HOT.... so the heat would not have been part of the factor at the time.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Without looking at gauges to see whats going on, monitor your cooling system (anti freeze level, if the cooling fan is working, etc.) These can effect the efficiency of the a/c system. See if the a/c compressor is constantly running or engaging/ disengaging rapidly. R134a refrigerant isn't as efficient as the old refrigerants (R12). You have to get airflow through the front of the car for it to start working. If you have blockage in the front of the radiator (bugs,leaves,debris, etc) efficiency will be down.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
When you say "full power" do you have the accelerator to the floor? If so, there is a WOT (Wide Open Throttle) relay that cuts the compressor off
when you are at WOT. Another thing that will cut the compressor off is
the engine running hot, or a faulty ECT sensor telling the PCM that the engine is too hot.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
take a thermometer and stick it in the center dash vent. 45 degrees is where all my explorers would go to when i would have a ac job. if it doesnt get to 45, 50 is ok but 45 is better. this will tell you whether or not you have a problem or if it is hot.

03Explorer

Missouri Chapter member
When you say "full power" do you have the accelerator to the floor? If so, there is a WOT (Wide Open Throttle) relay that cuts the compressor off
when you are at WOT. Another thing that will cut the compressor off is
the engine running hot, or a faulty ECT sensor telling the PCM that the engine is too hot.

No, not at WOT. Most of the driving that I do is stop and go. I hate the highways so I try to avoid them.

03Explorer

Missouri Chapter member
take a thermometer and stick it in the center dash vent. 45 degrees is where all my explorers would go to when i would have a ac job. if it doesnt get to 45, 50 is ok but 45 is better. this will tell you whether or not you have a problem or if it is hot.

I will have to try that. Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the advice. For some reason my multi-quote button is not working.

I need to check the temperature thing as well. Mine is ok, but not great on these really hot days.

Would turning on the rear AC controls help?

We drive greenhouses on wheels with all the windows.

I ddin't know we had a multi quote button. Ranger resource does. I have to quote, copy, return, quote, paste etc. to do it here.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
with the rear unit on, dash temp can fall up to ten degrees because of the extra heat in the system. yes it may help, and it may not.

03Explorer

Missouri Chapter member
I need to check the temperature thing as well. Mine is ok, but not great on these really hot days.

Would turning on the rear AC controls help?

We drive greenhouses on wheels with all the windows.

I ddin't know we had a multi quote button. Ranger resource does. I have to quote, copy, return, quote, paste etc. to do it here.

I always drive with my rear AC on. The little one is usually in back and I need to keep him cool. I also have all the windows except the windshield tinted to try to help with the heat. I'm not sure either really matter.

Running the rear gate not only can't hurt, it will actually be more efficient. Right now running just the front, It's trying to do all the work. Even in my big truck, I keep the sleeper air going and the whole truck stays cooler.

My son's Blase'r is loaded up the same way. I feel your pain, lol.

03Explorer

Missouri Chapter member

I did this the other day. I could not get it to drop below 60 degrees. I think I will have them check it out again when it goes in for an oil change.

Thanks to everyone for the info.

Rusty Shackleford

Certified Ford Tech
I don't work on "little" vehicles like this, but they are really common for the rear A/C lines rotting out inside a clamp holding the lines where they come down from the firewall and curve under the body.

03Explorer

Missouri Chapter member
Thanks I will have them check that out also.

I looked at the link for Recalls on vehicles that Mr. Fixit posted and there are about 4 A/C recalls on my year vehicle. I am going to have them check the recalls to see if they were fixed yet, since I purchased it used I don't know if any of them have been fixed yet.

Very handy little tool you posted Mr. Fixit. Thanks!

blacksnapon

Staff member
Thanks I will have them check that out also.

I looked at the link for Recalls on vehicles that Mr. Fixit posted and there are about 4 A/C recalls on my year vehicle. I am going to have them check the recalls to see if they were fixed yet, since I purchased it used I don't know if any of them have been fixed yet.

Very handy little tool you posted Mr. Fixit. Thanks!
PM me with your vin, I'll run an oasis.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts