Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'56 Trivia

The Ford Parts and Accessories Catalogue for 1956 lists available options. One of these would be against the law today to use while driving, and is not usually considered a part of any vehicle. What was it?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
It's a rare accessory for a '56, but as far as being against the law, tell that to the ppl of La La Land who use them daily....while driving.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
caaaar phoooone.

Ryan

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
caaaar phoooone.

Ryan
Car phones weren't invented till the mid 1970's, and aren't illegal to use in most states, tho that's changing.

CA has banned hand held car phone usage after 12/31/2007 (EDIT: It seems Mr Fixit knows the CA laws better than I do...NO hand held car phones after 6/30/2007). Another un-enforcable law brought to you by the good folks in the CA legislature. If there ain't enough PD's and CHiPS to catch the myriad 80 + MPH drivers on the state roadways, how will they enforce the car phone law? The same way they enforce the mandatory seat belt law. Rarely, if ever.

PS: I know the answer, but I'm letting others have a chance.

Last edited:
:rofl: I just KNEW that BILL would know this, no matter HOW wierd...

No, it's not a car phone.

I think I do to. It's electric, it plugs into the cigarette lighter, and I tend not to use it on weekends or days off. Am I warm? :rofl:
Pretty Warm!

And Bill, it's not so much I KNOW the Ca laws better, but got that info in an email from our safety consultant!

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Here's a link to the whole brochure. '56 was one of Ford's best.

56Ffl-01-20ss.jpg
OK fellow fanatics, the brochure says 1956, but if one major thing was different, this would be a 1955. If two major things were different, it would be a 1954.

By using this picture, what is the major difference between 1954 and 1955? 1955 and 1956?

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Ummmm, two-tone paint and a door post?
Nope...both coupe and hardtop were available 1954/56.

First two-tone paint = 1950 Crestliner (and first vinyl top)

First hardtop = 1951 Victoria

OK fellow fanatics, the brochure says 1956, but if one major thing was different, this would be a 1955. If two major things were different, it would be a 1954.

By using this picture, what is the major difference between 1954 and 1955? 1955 and 1956?
The difference between a 1955 and 1956, using that picture, was the greenhouse or the roof line height.
On Edit: Also the steering wheel
My first car was a 1956 Club Sedan.........No Ryan, I didn't buy it new!!! I also had a Sunliner and a Crown Victoria, non glass top Skyliner. My Dad had a '56 Country Squire he bought the first day they came out. Back then, the new model cars were such a secret from the public, they would transport them to the dealerships tarped and they would hide them until introduction day which was such a production.

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
1956's had "deep dish" steering wheels, '55 didn't. FoMoCo ws the first company to offer the dished steering wheels as part of their safety campaign in 1956. Foam rubber padded dashes were also available for the first time. '55's had a vinyl covered dash, but it wasn't foam padded.

Now what's the difference between '55 and '54?

"Oh, my knee!"

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts