Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

351W with no spark

hey guys. i got an 82 f-250 with a 351W. i was out driving about a year and a half ago and it suddenly died. its been sitting in my back yard since. i narrowed the problem down to it not getting spark. i replaced the distributor cap and rotor and the ignition coil, and just before it broke down i put new plugs and wires in it. i thought that it might be the petronics so i replaced it with a single points and condensor. nothing changed. the coil is only getting about 6 volts though. any ideas?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Hmm that's a good one.
Have you tried tracing the wires from the coil and seeing if any thing is frayed,badly cracked.
I'd track your wires all the way back to the fuse block if you can and see if there is wrong there.
Maybe one of the Techs can chime in and help.
Good luck :)

take the cap off and turn the motor see if the rotor is turning

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
take the cap off and turn the motor see if the rotor is turning
Good call!

Though I do wonder about 6V at the coil. Should be getting 12V no? Like Tex said-- I'd trace the wiring and see where the rest of that voltage went. If it were a fuse then you'd most likely have 0V. Could be one of your fusible links near the starter solenoid.

it should be 6 to 9v I think with the key in the run position it only gets a full 12v in the start position...

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
it should be 6 to 9v I think with the key in the run position it only gets a full 12v in the start position...

Correct! There is a series resistor in the run position. However, with the points open, you should measure 12V at both coil terminals.

How did you make out with the no spark ....???

Ford Truck Articles