Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Can i take the cats off?

Depends on smog laws of your state, there arent any sensors or anything in the cats that you have to worry about. If you dont have to smog it? Cut them off faster than you can say "Sawzall". :)

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Does your state require emissions testing or require they be there for inspection???

If you answer "yes" to either of these questions the the answer is no!!!

It could cut your milage down. There is supposed to be a certain amount of restriction in the exhaust system!!!

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Mine has no cats......You do need backpressure though...but the bends in the pipe may be all you needs.....since your truck is EFI you may have the smog pump and thermactor tubing on your truck associated with the pollution control system on it...if you do and there's a tube running down to your cat it can dangle....

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Get some Hi Flo Cats that will solve your problem and keep you legal

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Lol, yea I take cats off everything, nothing of mine has em now, just installed long tubes on my 92 and them cats are now gone. The air tube stuff is easy to remove. Just pull the tubes off the air pump, and remove everyhing other then the ones in the head if your year has em. There is a ck valve on my year that will let you take all the hoses off, and then just leave the thermactor tubes and the ck valve so no air will leak. Also if your going to remove cats, id suggest doing some headers also. In my adventures with removing cats, i get more power, and better mileage.

Fellro

Staff member
I'm not sure about the *federal* laws, so you may want to consider that also.

Ryan

By federal rules, no, you cannot take them off. The reason so many do and never get caught is that it is up to the individual states to enforce the federal rules.

By federal rules, no, you cannot take them off. The reason so many do and never get caught is that it is up to the individual states to enforce the federal rules.

So if you live in a state that doesnt do smog testing (basically an enforcement of federal laws) then you are in the clear. :)

yup! i looked and found that Kentucky did away with it.... so that gives me some ideas

I wish California would. They smog any and every vehicle made after 1975 every 2 years. Most states dont even smog OBDI (Pre-96) anymore just to get rid of the old equipment. Living in California is a pain in the ass. Great place (as far as landscape is concerned...("we have board meetings" :p) ), stupid people that run it.... :rotz:

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I wish California would. They smog any and every vehicle made after 1975 every 2 years. Most states dont even smog OBDI (Pre-96) anymore just to get rid of the old equipment. Living in California is a pain in the ass. Great place (as far as landscape is concerned...("we have board meetings" :p) ), stupid people that run it.... :rotz:

That's why I will all ways say, and I think you will agree with me Conner.
calsucks.jpg

That's why I will all ways say, and I think you will agree with me Conner.
calsucks.jpg

Yup. Pretty much. I don't hate the place, just the people inhabiting it. If everyone here caught some mysterious disease and died, but I was immune and the only one to survive with the entire state to myself. That would be awesome. :p

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Yup. Pretty much. I don't hate the place, just the people inhabiting it. If everyone here caught some mysterious disease and died, but I was immune and the only one to survive with the entire state to myself. That would be awesome. :p

Then I would move there just to bug the chit out of ya.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts