Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 oil leak

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
My wifes ex has a small oil leak. The back of the oil pan is wet and there is a little oil on the transmission. What could be leaking. The ex has 90k miles on it. Do I need to take it in so they can put dye in the oil? It isn't a bad leak but it is making a mess under the carport.

blacksnapon

Staff member
My wifes ex has a small oil leak. The back of the oil pan is wet and there is a little oil on the transmission. What could be leaking. The ex has 90k miles on it. Do I need to take it in so they can put dye in the oil? It isn't a bad leak but it is making a mess under the carport.
The dye will definately help. Your choices are, rear main seal, bed plate gasket, rear cover, if 03 or early 04, icp sensor, oil leaking from camshaft position sensor bleeding back to the rear, valve cover gaskets.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Its an 05. I called my dealership today. The service manager told me that they deffinatly would do dye. The only bad part is their main 6.0 tech and the only guy at the dealership that I want working on it is at school this week. So I guess it will go in next week.

How many miles do they usually leave the dye in? Next week will probably be best beings that she is planning on coming to see me next week end up here in chatanooga.

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Update..... after running the dye the changed the rear main and the bed plate gasket. I thouht it still had a leak but after tighting the drain plug it is fixed.

The one question I have is can the bed plate gasket be changed without pulling the engine. The dealer tech said that it could and they did. Pulled the tranny.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Update..... after running the dye the changed the rear main and the bed plate gasket. I thouht it still had a leak but after tighting the drain plug it is fixed.

The one question I have is can the bed plate gasket be changed without pulling the engine. The dealer tech said that it could and they did. Pulled the tranny.
I've heard of a lot of them doing it. Do I like it.......NO! The bedplate IS the main bearing caps. Would you pull all of the main bearing caps with the engine in the frame?

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
They had it tore apart before I knew any thing about it. She took it in @ 8 am. I called @ noon. They told me that they already had it on the rack tore apart. I told them to call me before they done any thing. as small as the oil leak was if it was the bed plate I was going to tell them to leave it alone.

The ex has 93k on it. What do I need to watch for.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut

Yes it can be done, I do it all the time mostly on vans though, as long as it's not the seals that go between the upper and lower block which hold the crank in your ok

i had an oil leek on my 06 6.0 and it was seeming like it was leeking from under nieth the truck but i puped the hood will it was running and it was coming from the oil filter on top ...... ford told me it was from the cap i was using i went from fords short one to the taller one you get from carquest our napa if you have the taller filter cap it could be from there

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
i had an oil leek on my 06 6.0 and it was seeming like it was leeking from under nieth the truck but i puped the hood will it was running and it was coming from the oil filter on top ...... ford told me it was from the cap i was using i went from fords short one to the taller one you get from carquest our napa if you have the taller filter cap it could be from there

Aftermarket oil filters do tend to leak and don't seal well inside the housing allowing unfiltered oil to return to you engine.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts