Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Transmittion fluid

Hi all:

I want to start on my fluid replacments on my '06 Expy with 23k miles on it. I like to get the first trany change in early because I have found there is alot of metal in there before the first 40k. Anyway, the question is...the trany fluid in the trany pan doesn't co-mingle with the transfer case fluid right? Is there any reason that I couldn't drop the transfer case fluid myself and then a couple of weeks from now have the trany fluid done at a shop? I hear changing the filter is a mess. From what I can tell these are two independant systems so having different fluid in them won't matter? right?

Thanks much!

blacksnapon

Staff member
Hi all:

I want to start on my fluid replacments on my '06 Expy with 23k miles on it. I like to get the first trany change in early because I have found there is alot of metal in there before the first 40k. Anyway, the question is...the trany fluid in the trany pan doesn't co-mingle with the transfer case fluid right? Is there any reason that I couldn't drop the transfer case fluid myself and then a couple of weeks from now have the trany fluid done at a shop? I hear changing the filter is a mess. From what I can tell these are two independant systems so having different fluid in them won't matter? right?

Thanks much!
They are both separate from each other.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts